17" Wheels

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethanfitz

Hi guys... im looking at getting bigger wheels so i can eventually get Kizza's 300mm brake conversion. I have finally found some that i think will fit...

Although i only wanted 16" wheels i have found some 17" TWS ones that i like and i think will fit ok specs are:

TSW 17" ALLOY WHEELS,
PCD 4X108
Rim Width: 7J
Offset: 35
BORE = 73MM

Based on this info am i right in thinking these will fit without any spaces?? I guess i will need spigot rings to get them right?

Is there anything i should be concerned with if i get these 17" wheels??
anyone had and experiences with TWS wheels?
I have AP Coilovers fitted but im prepared to raise them up if i need to (about half way down on the treads atm)

can anyone give me any advice on what to expect with the ride difference if i get these?

Thanks

will be a way harder ride especially if you already have coilovers, I have tried them with 17s and simply driving around town was horrible so went for 16s in the end and a higher tyre profile and was way better

They will fit although the centre bore I think should be 63.something mm. If they come with spigot rings to give the right bore size, then you'll be all good.

I can get the spigot rings in the sale too :p is the ride really that bad on 17"? is there any rubbing issues or anything i should be concerned with??
using the search function turned up a minefield of stuff now im more confused some say it will be fine no issues others say watch out for 17" hitting the metal work!

any more opinions and experiences are welcome :thumbs:

With your offset being within 1mm of the puma standard, you'll be approx. 1/2" (12.7mm) nearer the outer arch and inner arch as the alloys are an inch wider than standard.

It should be fine and won't need spacers if you use 205/40/17 tyres.

I had ET37 and ET34 17" alloys and the ET37 only rubbed on full lock and down a kerb drop. If your car isn't lowered then you'll have no issues whatsoever.

Ahh i see... i have decided to leave them for now as i have coilovers and even at its highest setting its still 35mm lower than the standard suspension. I will keep looking for suitable 16" wheels...
Thanks for the help...

One more thing... is the width issue a problem on 16" wheels because a lot of them are 6.5 or 7" wide where as the standard is 6" ?

PS Dal that chicken is horrifying :pinkeye:

Hi,
I am running 17"x7" rims with 40 offset on 205/40 tyres. springs are 30mm lower but I have got 20mm spacers. I have not had any issues regarding the ride height or clearance. I hope this info might be of use.
Regards
Richard Mansfield

The 17s should be ok but if you lower the ride height you will have to watch out for clearance on the underside of the front inner wings. If you do lower the car with the usual 40mm lowering springs on full compression, ie large bumps, the undrside flange of the inner wing will score the front tyres.
Barry

I've got 17s and coil overs on mine. I get a bit of rubbing on full lock and the odd scrape from the back if I have chunky passengers. Those wheels you have should fit but you might get little niggles like I do.

Thanks for all the advice guys :grin: armed with a tape measure and a torch i went out to measure things last night....

What a plonker.... i forgot i have a FRP rear beam which widens the rear (put on a standard puma). So if i put 17" wheels on the tyre would actually stick outside the wheel arch!!!

so defiantly no 17" wheels for me :( and now i have the task of finding some suitable 6-6.5" wide 16" wheels....

and the search begins again......

Hi,
Focus ST 170 wheels (17"x7") have an offset of 49. I have a set of these that I have refurbed with a view to fit them on my Puma. A set of these would probably fit, they would be 15mm inboard compared to standard wheels. I think they look quite smart. They are readily available on ebay, i got a set of 4 for £80.
Regards
Richard Mansfield.

Thanks for the offer Richard but think im going to stick to 16" wheels to minimalism potential problems... probably best i dont spend the money this side of christmas anyway... :-D

Back