A Few Problems... Urgent Help Please. :(

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PumKa

Hey,

As some of you know, ive got a Puma Engined Ka,
I took it off the road about 3 months ago, to do some work to it, bodywork etc...

Got it back on the road today, first time its been driven in 3 months, been started regularly though.

First problem, it dont seem to go nowere?! It used to be a quick little car, but now nothing. Its really really flat in all gears (not the torque limiter) Earlier it struggled to get up a incline on the motor way at 96mph, got to that and wouldnt budge. Its a good engine, it used to pull through all gears really really well, very torquey used to spin up alot aswell. I just dont seem to pick up?

Car seem likes it running out of petrol, put half a tank in, was going along the motor way, let off, and felt like it was low on petrol, (a bit juddery as if your about to run out of petrol) Had it on half throttle aswell and done the same thing again. Does it alot when i let off.

Over revving, usual thing, blip the throttle, holds the revs and goes down after. But also, the revs stick very high, about 3k and dont go down, so you pull up at traffic lights and itll just rev its self from idle and stick there. Blip the throttle and itll just stick to that if you go over 3k. Looks like your revving the nuts off of it at the lights. I havnt got a clue with that, maybe still the ICV?

Drinking petrol like mad! Done half a tank and done 60 miles. I know it wernt the greastest on petrol, but it wernt bad by far!

I unplugged the ICV when it was running, and it was fine (this was before it started holding revs) didnt bog on idle. Took it down the road, and it was pulling fine, through all the gears, perfect. Came to the end of the road (after being a bit heavy on the right foot) and it stalled, wouldnt idle atall. Like what it used to do when it was unplugged. But it was fine at first?!
But since it started sticking the revs badly, it dont matter if its plugged in or not plugged in. Dont make a difference, same goes for if you unplug the tps or maf. No difference, were as before it was sticking the revs, it used to run lumpy etc.. when either was unplugged. But now nothing?!

Fan wont cut in?! Relay? Checked fuses. Thermostat?!

What ive done while it was off the road, fuel filter, oil filter, oil change, new sparks, new ht leads. Could the petrol problem be something to do with the filter? Im gonna give the old one a go back on there. And also fitted a 2.0 mondeo throttle body, but took the TPS off of another throttle body (as it sat in the wrong place) So could that be part of all them problems?

Last of all, driving it home, and the aux belt snapped, luckily i was a corner from my house, obv no power steering, got a bit hot, blah blah blah. Would i be right in saying i can just put a new one straight on?

Alot of problems for one day, as you can imagine i was fuming, all the time ive spent on it for the past 3 months and that happens. Not happy atall. So just trying to get it all sorted.
And i know you lot know what your talking about! :) So your my only hope!

Sorry for all the questions, properly a bit of a bore to read. But if anyone has any answers to any of the questions, i would be very very grateful!

Thanks alot,
Harry

Hi there, i cant help you with all your problems, but i hope i can help you with at leaste some.

That sounds like an idle control issue, and the reason it probarbly didnt make a difference when you first unplugged it, might be that the ecu dosent always correct itself straight away, so it thought it was getting more or less air then it was, then when you unplugged it, that has actually adjusted the amount of air going into your engine, so its run fine, but then the ecu has corrected itself because it knows the ICV is unplugged. So my first thought wouldnt be ICV, although the symptoms are there, i think your 2.0 MAF might be a problem. Id swap back to your old MAF, and reset your ecu, and try it at that. If your car feels like its running out of fuel, then it may be the opposite, its getting too much fuel, as the symptoms are the same. You will loose alot of power if your running rich. Check your exhaust and see if its more sooty then usual, thats a sign that your cars been running rich. The 2.0 maf might be sending too much fuel to the engine. Its a common mis conception that more fuel = more power! You couldnt be more wrong, less fuel will give more power (obviusly within reason), but would create far too much heat! Then id check your lambda, if it has been running overly rich, the lambda could be knackard, and would also cause overly rich conditions! the maf wouldnt cause the car to over rev, but an ICV wouldnt cause some of the other symptoms youve described, so it could be a combination of the 2, or it could be the MAF, and the throttle cable. If the cars been standing for a while, the throttle cable can get corroded, try pressing the throttle (with engine turned off), and then taking your foot off the throttle, and open your engine bay and see if the throttle plate has completely closed. If not, then you can just spray some WD40 down there and work the throttle until it loosens up. If it fully closes every time, then its more likely to be ICV or faulty wiring.

Its just a theory, and im not a mechanic, but thats what id try, its free, and you have all the bits to change it back, so that would be my first option. As long as you put the fuel filter on the right way, & its the correct unit for your car, then that shouldnt be an issue, and as long as the spark plugs are correct, and all the leads are correctly fitted, they shouldnt be an issue. The 2.0 maf, im assuming is untested and 2nd hand seems to be the weakest and most likely the culprit.

And as far as im aware, as long as you didnt drive it too far, you can just replace the belt, it drives your water pump, powersteering, A/C (if you have it), & altenator, so should be ok.

Give it a try and let us know how you get on

Latest posts

Back