Accident- Insurance advice

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvr1865

Hi
Ok so my wife had a bump in my Puma when a Seat went in for too close a look at our rear wheel arch- which naturally exloded on impact. (tin worm et al). It turns out to be her fault but that is not the issue here.

In any case we have a buckled alloy and a bump in the side but a still very drivable Puma, I will replace the wheel, thinking she would be helpful the wife asked our insurers to come out to repair- without asking for any advice. So they came along and the assessor said he would advise a certain amount of work but the insurer would probably write the car off as it is in excess of the cars value.

So my question is, how do i stop the write off? I will arrange the work myself and would never have asked them to affect a repair.

Any advice gratefully received and many thanks in advance.
Thank you
Simon

I have no experience or factual knowledge on this however I'd expect that just because you've opened a claim with your insurance provider doesn't mean you have to accept that they complete the claim. As far as I understand it you can ask them to close the case and complete the work yourself.

The alternative if this is to far down the line to close now, is to find out the payout details (negotiate if you dont think it's fair) and request to keep the car as salvage which I think they then take off of the payout value.

As above really, I think up until they actually part with money you can simply request the claim to be dropped, chances are they will be more than happy to do so.

You probably can't drop the claim completely as it looks like you still need to repair the other car?

Probably the most cost-effective way to proceed is to have the car written off and retain the salvage (ie. your perfectly serviceable Puma) which you can repair at will. They will pay you out to replace but of course that is not necessary where you can repair yourself at far less cost. The car will carry a write-off marker but given the price of them you're not going to be substantially lowering its value by any great amount.

The other option would be to ask them not to consider the damage on your car although this may be less than ideal given you'll have the problem of a claim on your policy but not the benefit of having been paid out. When you renew you will still have to answer yes to the question of whether you have had a claim and you'll still have the job of repairing yours but won't have received any money with which to do so.

I did as Ian G suggested when my car was written off after someone hit the back of it. I was paid out for the car and bought the salvage for £57.50. Cost me about £150 (including VIC test - no longer applicable) to get back on the road. It has the write off marker but that doesn't worry me

Back