Aftermarket HIDs soon to be an MOT fail?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red

Administrator
Staff member
Just been reading some information on this and of course we've always known that fitting HID to a car which it's not designed for is illegal yet they can still pass an MOT.

Well because of Commission Directive 2010/48/EU by 31st December 2011 MOT stations should be enforcing the updated points (4.1.5 & 4.1.6) :

ITEM: Levelling devices (where mandatory)
METHOD: Visual inspection and by operation if possible.
REASONS TO FAIL: (a) Device not operating. (b) Manual device cannot be operated from driver’s seat.
ITEM: Headlamp cleaning device (where mandatory)
METHOD: Visual inspection and by operation if possible.
REASONS TO FAIL: Device not operating.

I.e. if they don't self clean and self level they will fail even if the beam pattern is similar to original.

BUT they've also not yet worked out how to properly incorporate these checks into the existing MOT scheme.

Reference: http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/11%20008.pdf

Also looks like it could be bad news for people with some chipped ECUs?

From my limited understanding it will be mandatory if the car has HIDs hence if a Puma has HIDs and can't do it then it will fail.

But as I say this is just my interpretation of the new rules.

I saw this too and is mainly aimed at the many aftermarket kits which if installed incorrectly can dazzle oncoming drivers at best and cause an accident at worst

I bloody hope they start clamping down on badly adjusted/modded headlights, especially the ones that twinkle. They annoy the *** out of me when I'm driving at night.

I agree with Crystalpuma.

But, if the HID kit(s) are installed by say, a compenent/professional auto electrician and levelled correctly, would they still be classed as illegal..? :?
At least they would then have been fitted with care/professionalism rather than them just being thrown in....

http://www2.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

YOG said:
http://www2.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps.html

Fair enough! :eek:k:

But I'm sure that some clever sod on here will be able to do a conversion to make them 'legal'......!

topmansparkie said:
... and levelled correctly,

Self-levelling is required, not one-off levelling I'm afraid.

It is fascinating every time I switch my headlights on to see them go through the full levelling routine. A bit eerie too.

High Intensity Discharge

The powerful, blue-tinged headlight system that you see around a lot now.

A good answer to the Puma's poor lighting, but not without its problems for other road users.

New readers might like to be aware of an experiment I once carried out with the Puma to aid dipped beam performance.

If your headlight levelling still works, adjust them fully DOWN and then use main beam. Excellent 'dipped' performance, nobody else ever seems to be inconvenienced.

Of course, then, when you need full beam quickly you are a little stuffed.

They don't just need to be self levelling they also have to have a wash system as dirt on a HID lens scatters the headlamp beam

Latest posts

Back