Engine oil leaking

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lud1konj

Hi :-( ...bad news...and no the Dacia is running fine, It's the Puma :-(

I've noticed my Puma is dumping oil. Not too much, but it has me concerned...My local mech thinks it's a head and headgasket problem and to get it all sorted it'll probably cost me around 200 £ (if not more, which is too much for me). Before I do that, I'm gonna go to my nearest Ford dealer...anyhow I'd like to hear your thoughts...

I'm not a mechanic (and I'm not English) so bare with me while I'm trying to explain where the leak is located.

On the backside of the engine there is some sort of metal sheet (maybe a heat shield) which accumulates some of the oil leaking from the engine (colored blue). The other place I've felt oil with my fingers is a metal notch sticking out of the engine (colored red). This accumulates only after a drive...at a standstill I'm guessing the oil just drips straight down and onto the pavement...

The pictures are not mine!

Front side
f_gud1_9b3_u8yoq.jpg

Backside
f_hc8e_e0b_u8yoq.jpg

Is the problem so dire that it'll cost so much to fix? :-(

i would say you just need a new rocker cover gasket and sealant, make sure to buy a genuine ford one.

the head gasket is lower down on the engine (under the 4 holes you can see in the backside photo)

lusid666 said:
i would say you just need a new rocker cover gasket and sealant, make sure to buy a genuine ford one.

the head gasket is lower down on the engine (under the 4 holes you can see in the backside photo)

Thank you for explaining...I'm going to my nearest Ford dealer tomorrow, I hope they come to the same conclusion :)

I've been to the dealer today and they seemed very pleasant and eager to help...The mech told me it's most likely the before mentioned rocker cover gasket because the engine is leaking at the top, but it seems that this is not the only place my Puma is leaking. After lifting the car to see the underside he told me that my power steering pump might be leaking and then he mentioned that this is a common, but not urgent to fix, problem on Fiestas. Is that true?

The part was unavailable so the Ford dealer ordered the rocker cover gasket from Germany around 40 £, and the shop will take around 20 £ for the repairs (while the diagnosis was free)...the parts will arrive in 7-10 working days

Oh yea and they've noticed that my exhaust is rotting away...So the question is, original or aftermarket sport exhaust ?

Back