Fuel pump dying after 2 years

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clavfunk75

I had a new fuel pump installed after the last one let me down. However nearly two years on, it wouldn’t start last night and I couldn’t hear the pump prime.

Anyway I gave the fuel tank a kick in the nuts (and bolts) and it fired up no problems so it obviously got stuck. But I know from experience it’s going to get more problematic. It’s my other half’s daily drive and she was stuck at work last night and working in a rural area it’s not something I can just hope is a one off.

What are the best quality brands of fuel pumps?

Thanks guys

If it worked after kicking the tank then there is a good chance that there is a problem with the wiring connector. Perhaps it's not fully home or is corroded.
In view of what you have described it is likely to stop working again.
Btw,did you replace the fuel filter 2 years ago when the pump was last replaced?

I changed the fuel filter at last service 6 months ago. It’s been in our garage since last service.

Would it be possible to run the tank of fuel down, and then drop the tank enough to get a multimeter/visual look at the connectors?

Before commencing on dropping the tank, check the wires under the rear seat squab in case they have been messed with in the past and there is a poor connection there around where they pass through the rubber grommet

Have a search on hear I think I recall Ian G mentioned that if you bridge 2 of the connectors on the plug for the auto cut off switch located on the passenger foot well, behind the hole in the carpet apparently that it will make the pump run continuously .
You could then disconnect the fuel pipe going to the injector rail and fit a hose going into a suitable fuel container.

Alternatively you could disconnect the return to tank pipe and run that into a container whilst the car is running.

However unless its more than 1/2 tank, personally I would lower the tank using a trolley jack with a large block of wood to support it. I think that will be suffice to get to the connector.

What is the pipe for on the right side of the tank with the white fixing?

Tanks drained and dropped just need to disconnect these

Attachments

• 4537B670-AEE8-48CA-90E8-7E53A77BB29E.jpeg
    4537B670-AEE8-48CA-90E8-7E53A77BB29E.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 107
Flow and return to the engine, have a look under the bonnet at the fuel rail. You should see 2x fuel lines connected to it with the same type of red or white connectors

This pipe marked, what is this one?

Attachments

• 707B23FF-CD6E-44D9-9820-B1874A0BBD04.jpeg
    707B23FF-CD6E-44D9-9820-B1874A0BBD04.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 106
Ah sorry, didn't read your question properly. I'm guessing it's part of the evap system

Ah ok, I can see now from this diagram

https://varuosad.alvadi.ee/dk/vin/WFOAXXGAJAWP60610/81/quick/10817/2609624

I’m going to underseal the underside while the tanks off, then head back to solving the issue.

Pumps open circuit so I’ll need to get another one. I’m
Assuming I can’t get OEM so any brand recommendations? Could do without needing to change it after another 2 years. Having said that the car was in storage on low fuel over winter with occasional starts. Suppose that didn’t help.

Ah well it’s a sunny day so I’m going to paint my tank!

Where did the pump you fitted 2 years ago come from and was it new?
Ian G from Pumabits will likely have a replacement pump, IIRC there are 2 types 1 for analogue Dashboard and the other for A digital dashboard .
However the pump apparently (see previous post on this site) can be separated from the sender unit which is common to both types .

A local lad fitted the pump for me, didn’t need to replace whole lot. If I recall correctly it was a Magnetti Marelli pump.

I’ve noticed one of the collars (white) with the tabs in that you push in to separate the fuel line from the pump/sender is damaged and the tabs are no longer their. Can new collars be obtained separately or can you only get them with the whole sender unit?

My Puma is a digital dash y868 sjh.

I’m going to replace those hard plastic lines that come off the steel lines. What is the best modern option for the flexi lines?

This is my first time doing this job but so far I’ve only sworn a few times, so that’s good!

Turns out pumps fine when it’s been disconnected, the sender unit socket is burnt out on the pin feeding the pump.

Thanks for the update , it is as I advised was likely to be the case in my post of 4/3.

If you have a local scrappy that has a MK4 Fiesta or Puma with digital dash , then you could cut the connector and some of the wiring from the donor car and re solder it into your cars wiring. This is to ensure reliability in the future, due to the hassle of dropping the tank again.

If your cars got an analogue dash then its possible the connector will have to come off a Donor.
I am aware there are 2 types of pumps due to differences in the fuel senders .

Ian G will know for sure of the exact differences .

I’ll be honest I’ve just bought a new sender unit post 2000 version. It’ll be the original sender unit on the car so i don’t begrudge getting a new one after 19 years. I’ll have 3 working pumps now! Two magnetti marelli and whatever pump comes with the sender. Sender with pump was £85 so I’m not expecting a top notch pump included so may put one of the marelli pumps into it.

Got the tank painted

If you want the tank to remain rust free for many years to come apply a coat of black heavy duty waxoyl that comes in a 2.5l can. It remains flexible so won't chip and crack .This will give good protection against the salt on the roads . Use this also on the spare wheel carrier , after drilling 4 or 5 holes in the places that the water sits , to allow it to drain away

clavfunk75 said:
I had a new fuel pump installed after the last one let me down. However nearly two years on, it wouldn’t start last night and I couldn’t hear the pump prime.

Anyway I gave the fuel tank a kick in the nuts (and bolts) and it fired up no problems so it obviously got stuck. But I know from experience it’s going to get more problematic. It’s my other half’s daily drive and she was stuck at work last night and working in a rural area it’s not something I can just hope is a one off.

What are the best quality brands of fuel pumps?

Thanks guys

All dash lights come on and the fuel pump is still running ?

Back