How to drain screen wash?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatsPuma

Sorry if I mess this up, still haven't got to grips with the new forum.

I topped up my screen wash with one that said its good to -6, but it isn't. It's also leaving residue, I want to get rid of it but don't know how. Is the best bet just to siphon it out or is there some way to drain the screen wash tank?

You could try sucking it out with a hand pump, I got one for about £10 from screwfix. But the 'official' way is to remove OSF wheel and wheel arch liner then pull out the pump from the tank, or run the pump into a bucket or something.

You could try sucking it out with a hand pump, I got one for about £10 from screwfix. But the 'official' way is to remove OSF wheel and wheel arch liner then pull out the pump from the tank, or run the pump into a bucket or something.
Thanks for your reply! The official way sounds like a right faff :) I'll go for sucking it out from the top. I have got a pump somewhere that I've used for starting a syphon before so I'm sure I can do something.

Thanks again!

 If you didn't have a problem with the residue, you could have bought concentrated washer fluid, as opposed to ready to use and topped up the washer bottle with that to increase concentration in the washer bottle.
It is annoying that they position the washer bottles away from the engine in more modern cars. You have no chance that they will thaw out on the way to work, unlike much older cars which had a smaller plastic pouch in the engine bay which defrosted much faster!

 If you didn't have a problem with the residue, you could have bought concentrated washer fluid, as opposed to ready to use and topped up the washer bottle with that to increase concentration in the washer bottle.
It is annoying that they position the washer bottles away from the engine in more modern cars. You have no chance that they will thaw out on the way to work, unlike much older cars which had a smaller plastic pouch in the engine bay which defrosted much faster!
You could disconnect the pipe that goes to the rear washer jet, that's near the top of the screen wash filler cap and just use the washer pump to empty the screen wash. I had to clear a blockage to the rear jet and it was relatively easy to find the pipe.

I would strongly recommend to take the bottle out of the car and clean everything. The cars are now 25 years old and the bottles are full of all kinds of crap including the mucus on the pump filter. Once you clean that it will work again perfectly. Watch out for brittle plastics: heat it up propely first with a heat gun!

Latest posts

Back