Laquer grrrrrrr lol.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lightning51

Hello Everyone,

I had a small dent on my moondust silver thunder, applied a small amount of filler. I then sprayed on grey primer followed by moondust silver paint from Halfords. In between the primer and silver paint I rubbed down with 1200 grit paper and then before I applied the laquer I again rubbed down with 1200 grit paper. The paint was 'matt' appearance and looked pretty good, nice and smooth and ready for the laquer.

I sprayed on the laquer onto the silver paint that I applied the day before and it turned darker.

Does anyone know why this has happened?

Cheers
Sean

You trusted Halfords :-(

Adding clear coat to my C-Max repair did the same thing but that then made the top coat the right colour as it was a bit lighter to start with and no my paint did not come from Halfords

When I needed paint to touch up my rear bumper - I went to a local paint supplier with the petrol flap (bearing in mind that all colours (other colours more than most i.e. red) fades over time) and they matched the paint to the petrol flap.

I was then supplied with 3 x cans (750ml each) of primer (for the colour), colour and lacquer. All for less than £30.

Moondust silver = THE hardest colour to match AND to shoot. Feel your pain Lightning, the wife's Focus is said colour.

After losing a wing mirror cover I decided it was easier to dip them both in carbon fibre than try match the paint...

Even if you got the correct shade it probably wouldn't match as you are trying to match fresh paint to old paint, you'd be better off doing the entire panel

company called CarPaintRepair in Whitburn....EH47 0LQ

01501742749.......email sales@carpaintrepair (I think)

All they need is car registration number, had perfect match for "buttercup" and the Passat and now the C-Max, they supply primer/base coat/clear coat or any combination you need.

But you will probably need to T-cut afterwards anyway due to fade

Thank you everyone, :grin: .

She is such a lovely looking little car 'lightning' can't let cosmetics let her down lol. :lol:

I resprayed my door mirror cover and door handle using the Halfords Moondust silver cans a couple of weeks ago. Both were in non-original colours that someone pre-my ownership had painted silver (badly) and needed doing again, so having a rare weekend to myself I had a go.

The mirror came out great, but the handle has gone a bit darker with the lacquer. I can live with it, but it's weird as I used same primer, same paint, same prep all at the same time. I'm a compete novice at this, but wonder if the original surface material has some impact (?) as in my case the handle is a more rubbery sort of plastic than the other.

The paint code for your car is on the plate on the slam panel (from memory it's the sixth code down on the lhs of the plate) That's what I use to order paint for mine. Moondust is probably the hardest colour to match/paint though.
Barry

Thanks Barry. I might try some t-cut at some point to see if it will blend in a bit more. The work I did would never pass concours but it good enough for me :)

You'll get the basic colour code for moondust on the slam panel but if you went to a paint shop and looked at their swatches there would be X number of variations with that colour code and probably an extra letter to distinguish from the basic colour. So some variations are more yellow/green/blue etc etc. The differences are very subtle and impossible to tell until you hold the two colours against one another. Also as mentioned above you're putting new paint next to paint that's had 15 years or so of sun bleaching, polishing, cutting etc. The dent would dictate how much painting and blending would get done too. If it was near the front of the door the wing would get blended and the full wing and door would get lacquered for example.

Just my two pennies worth. It's been a few years since I worked in a bodyshop though.

Latest posts

Back