My 1.6 Puma (2001)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woeringen1288

Bought 9 months ago with 73 000 km (84 000 now, this always goes up too fast 😁), in immaculate condition although some small rust spots started to appear recently and I definitely can't afford a garage 😔.

I don't plan any modifications, I'm happy with pretty much everything.
I would have preferred the 1.7 engine of course, but it's the second-hand market, you don't get to choose. In addition to this, the insurance would have been really expensive and I could have driven for less time with it in the low emission zone. With the 1.6, I can drive until the end of 2029.

The only thing that I miss a bit about my previous car is electric mirrors, but I have AC with my Puma on the other hand ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

20240314_1601312.jpg20240314_1601232.jpg

Last edited:
Bought 9 months ago with 73 000 km (84 000 now, this always goes up too fast 😁), in immaculate condition although some small rust spots started to appear recently and I definitely can't afford a garage 😔.

I don't plan any modifications, I'm happy with pretty much everything.
I would have preferred the 1.7 engine of course, but it's the second-hand market, you don't get to choose. In addition to this, the insurance would have been really expensive and I could have driven for less time with it in the low emission zone. With the 1.6, I can drive until the end of 2029.

The only thing that I miss a bit about my previous car is electric mirrors, but I have AC with my Puma on the other hand ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

View attachment 11981View attachment 11980
Nice car. I think you'll find the wiring is there for the electric mirrors, so you'd need the mirrors the switch and the surround to fit in the driver's door card. Please check by removing the drivers door card before ordering any parts though, my Red Puma didn't have electric mirrors, but conversion was very straightforward.

Nice car. I think you'll find the wiring is there for the electric mirrors, so you'd need the mirrors the switch and the surround to fit in the driver's door card. Please check by removing the drivers door card before ordering any parts though, my Red Puma didn't have electric mirrors, but conversion was very straightforward.
Interesting 🤔

My first puma was a black one too! Yours looks so much better haha :D I plan on someday soon maybe seeing if there's some kind of coating I can do on the underside to prevent rust, I will have a look in here on the forums what others have done.

have you already encountered any other belgian puma's on the road since you've had it?

My first puma was a black one too! Yours looks so much better haha :D I plan on someday soon maybe seeing if there's some kind of coating I can do on the underside to prevent rust, I will have a look in here on the forums what others have done.

have you already encountered any other belgian puma's on the road since you've had it?
I don't think I've encountered any other Pumas on the road since I got mine, but maybe I just don't remember ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think I should also search for some kind of protection against rust. 🤔

Nice looking Puma :)

I've never driven the 1.6 - the first Puma I bought was advertised as a 1.6 but as in reality a 1.7 when I went to view it.

For rust inhibitors I’ve used Dinitrol products for bodywork for years and ACF50 for suspension etc
I use Bilt Hamber rust converter, cavity wax and underbody wax. Any rust that has been treated, I use 2 coats of zinc primer, before normal primer, then top coat
When I had my classic Mini, the underbody and inside the sills, the rust hadn't come back after 5 years. I have a Boroscope for checking inside sills etc

Back