No heat

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiikax

I have -99 1.7 Puma with a/c. Car is drive 190 000km (or 120 000 miles). Heater control panel of the car looks like this:
Dxe7Kyq.jpg

The problem is that there is no heat coming even though the heat setting is on full heat (red). Sometimes when I drive aggressively or rpm is over 3000rpm I get a somewhat warm air, but it isn't as hot as it should be. Sometimes it will give warm air just randomly, but not enought that car would be even warm.

I also noticed that in the control panel the lights won't show up. Two buttons at the bottom, A/C and the car image (re-use the air inside the car) lights show up, but all three round switches lights are off. Fan speed (0-4) works fine, also the left one which chooses that from where the air is coming out, works fine.

What could be the problem? :( I already ordered new Heater Control Valve, because I thought that it would be the problem but apparently it is something else?

Edit: I forgot to mention that I also checked the fuses near drivers knee and they seemed ok.

Where did you buy the heater valve from? Non genuine ones are dog toffee and last a month or two at most. You need a genuine Ford one. If the problem persists you should look at replacing the heater panel. Our resident spares guy Ian G probably has some

It wasn't genuine since I thought it would last :( I bought it from Ebay with 19 euros. But I think the problem is in the control panel since sometimes I get warm air through so then it wouldn't be valve and the lights wont work. But of course I can be wrong.

I googled a little bit and found out this link: http://www.justanswer.com/uk-ford/6eoop-ford-puma-heat-ford-puma-constantly-hot-changed.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ok can you check the wiring /voltages with the plug connected to the heater valve either back probe or nick the insulation of the wires ( across the 2wires )
The readings should be as follows

Cold = 13.4
Hot = 0
Mid setting = Pulsing between 13.6 volts and 1-4volts

basically when you dissconnect the heater control valve multiplug the valve defaults to hot air ( fully open ) as there is no voltage at the multiplug ( as when hot is selected you get 0 volts =correct ) and allows the hot coolant to flow to the heater matrix
I tested and my Puma gives about 13 volts all the time, even the heat switch is on red. I disconnected the plug from valve so valve would have 0 volts and boom, hot air coming straight from the fans. Now I need to investigate that is the problem in control panel or somewhere else. But if I can't manage to fix this, I can always disconnect the plug when the winter comes :p

I have google'd this issue and it seems that the problem is in Heater Control Panel. I'm just having problems finding right one (with a/c, without cig lighter) from Ebay or anywhere else. Maybe I just need to look some used ones from here Finland.

If anyone have spare control panel, feel free to send PM!

Do you have two problems?

Lights around the knobs/dials do not work?
No heating when panel is set on full hot?

The lights could be blown/not working bulbs. The lights on the buttons come on with the lights on the dials.

If you get heat if engine revs are high, have you thought about checking if radiator is blocked which is slowing down the water going round?

Sorry, I forgot to say that I fixed the lights. There was just two burnt bulbs :oops:

The problem is that HCV gets ~13 volts all the time, whether the setting is on hot or cold. On hot it should get 0 volts, on cold 12 volts and if the setting is somewhere between apparently it should be pulsing between ~13 volts and 1-4 volts. Now HCV gets 12 volts regardless the setting in the heater control panel.

It does not matter if panel has cig lighter or not.

The older panel same as yours has lights on the buttons.
The newer panels do not have lights on the buttons.

If you can get older panel with buttons the same as yours, it does not matter if if has cig lighter. You can remove the control/circuit board from inside and put it in your panel! :cool:

Okay, thanks! So you think that the heater control panel's circuit board is broken?

Jiikax said:
Okay, thanks! So you think that the heater control panel's circuit board is broken?
Maybe if voltage is wrong at the HCV. The circuit board sends the voltage to the HCV.

Latest posts

Back