One Touch Window Switches

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtfulHussy

Has any tried, or know of anyone who has tried, retrofitting some one-touch window switches to the puma? I'm unsure how they work, but I am assuming the wiring will be slightly different.

I saw these on the fleabay and wondered if they would be a relatively simply fit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FIESTA-MK6-5-DRIVERS-SIDE-ONE-TOUCH-ELECTRIC-WINDOW-SWITCH-/151771848039?hash=item23564e9d67" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-focus-mk1-passenger-side-front-window-switch-black-back-4-pin-98-05/281727339552?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3Dcae6135287e841b785a3cb6cd688abac%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D301712220610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the days of old the only real way people did this mod was to use some Mondeo relays, I've tried to find the guide online but the one people were using from the UKFN only exists now without the pictures since the domain no longer exists.

First of all, you will need:

basic soldering skills
wire cutters/strippers
drill and 3mm or 1/8th drillbit
2 self tapping screws
2 speed clips
Mondeo One Touch relay

Righto, the Mondeo relay is £18 from Ford, so best bet is to get down the scrappy and get one. They are found in a recess in the drivers door, as shown. There are 2 types, one is a 4 wire relay, the other a 5 wire. For this guide I have used the 4 wire relay, but will explain the 5 wire at the end.

Make sure you get the connector and a good six inches of the loom too.

This is a decent view of the relay, and the wiring.

I mounted the relay on the back of the support for the doorcard, which gives plenty of clearance for the relay. Rather than try to screw it in from behind and end up with the point of the screw exposed, I simply made use of two speedclips.

For the wiring, you need to strip back the loom for the window switches, and locate the following three wires, all on the blak drivers window plug.

Violet/Orange - +ve
Black - Earth
Yellow - Window Down

Connect the Violet/Orange from the relay to the Violet/Orange on the switch harness.

Connect the Black on the relay to the Black on the switch harness.

Cut the Yellow wire on the switch harness.

Connect the Yellow/Violet wire from the relay to the window motor side of the cut Yellow wire.

Connect the Yellow/Green wire from the relay to the switch side of the cut Yellow wire.

Solder and Insulate your connections, and re-tape the looms up neatly.

The switch now functions as follows:

One quick press down will send the window down one-touch.
Either press up or down to interrupt the one-touch.
Press and hold down to operate the window as normal, ie let go and it stops.

The 5 wire relay, as found on earlier Mondeo's, can also be used. The difference with this relay is that the window switch is the same function as the focus, ie the down switch has three positions: rest, manual down, and one-touch down. The 4 wire relay is just one-touch down.

The 5 wires are as follows:

Violet/Orange
Black
Yellow
Grey/Orange
White/Green

Violet/Orange and Black as per the 4 wire relay.

Yellow to the motor side of the cut Yellow wire on the harness

Grey/Orange AND White/Green to the switch side of the cut Yellow wire.

This will give a one-touch down function as the relay gets a feed on both the Grey/Orange and White/Green wires as it would on the mondeo switch. I am not sure of the complete functionality of the 5 wire relay (ie press & hold, interrupt, etc) as I was a doofus and forgot to check after I worked out the wiring configurations.

Ah, I see.

I wonder then if it is doable with other switches? I prefer the set up in the likes of BMW, where it's one touch up and down, but I'm not sure if Ford have an equivalent? That passenger switch looks like it could be but can't find a driver that does same.

I've now put that link in the "How To" Guides, for future access, under How to make windows "One-Touch":
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=28514" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts

Back