power steering pump removal

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart1275

Ok fellow Puma's

Got the cam belt cover of pretty oily under there although the belt itself is not to badly effected.
It is very shiny but seems to be in fair condition but I am going to replace it just for peace of mind.
Stuck with the power steering pump got it away from the block and want to take it out of the way (the more space the better and I am not in a hurry) I can not get a spanner on the pipe going into the top of the pump, not sure what size it is but I think I need to buy a spanner with a slot in it like the ones below
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263241981518
But does anyone know the size I need..... The other end of the pipe does not seem to undo? there is a electric connector on it.
If I can undo the pump end it will be ok as I can lift the pump out of the way.
I dont want to turn the other end as it might not be designed to undo?

I have no idea about the pump but if the belt is oily I would advise finding out why and getting that fixed while everything is apart. If the old one is oily due to a problem then I would bet the new one will end up the same way. :grin:

Yes great idea CherryVimto I am, like many, owners it seems having, difficulty tracking the source of the leak.
Rocker cover has been previously suggested and it might be, not much oil in the spark plug area though.
I think I will give it all a good clean and de-grease and then replace everything and run for as long as it takes to track the source down.
It would be a waste of a cam belt kit to replace if it is going to be just the same in a few weeks.
That said the belt itself apart from being shiny looks pretty good the teeth are all good and the oil is more on the block and cover than the actual belt. I am retired so have plenty of time so that is not a problem.
I am leaning towards a leak in the power steering as it is this area that seems to have the most oil around it, It could of course just be a build up of oil over the years if it has not had any cleaning for a while.
So the plan is clean cambelt cover back on then keep an eye out for the dreaded leak. (if their is one)

stuart1275 said:
Running without the cambelt cover on would i suppose be un-advisable ????
That would be an interesting discussion!

I've considered it a few times but the thought of something somehow ending up hitting/jamming in the belt/cams has kind of stopped me going down that route....

There is a bolt that can leak oil if its not sealed properly. It is shown in this topic https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=23574 with some good pictures too of the bolt. So that could be worth checking out.I think it can be sealed with thread lock or something like that. But if you think it could be power steering fluid it should be like a red colour? Unless I thinking of a different colour fluid?
If it looks like the leak coming further up the block it could be from the rocker cover gasket where it seals over the camshafts.
As for the power steering pump pipe nut size it's 18mm? I remember it being a right pain to remove and taking forever to undo with a regular ring spanner. Its even worse trying to put it back on! Depending on the condition of the nylon seal on the pipe nut it might be worth replacing that too. But again that's not a straightforward swap as the washer needs to be stretched and manipulated over the nut. A cone type tool would be handy to use. There are videos on youtube of how to out the washer on.

CherryVimto said:
I have no idea about the pump but if the belt is sizegenetics oily I would advise finding out why and getting that fixed while everything is apart. If the old one is oily due to a problem then I would bet the new one will end up the same way.

HAHAHA You nailed it.
I was going to answer the same thing.

Latest posts

Back