Puma 1.7 misfire (again)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT66

Thought I'd update the forum with some info, in case anyone finds it useful. Having run perfectly for some time since the last Coil Pack replacement (https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30368&p=357160#p357160), the Puma began to have a slight misfire again, noticeable under load (say 3rd Gear, around 20mph or hard acceleration). Thinking it may be a Coil Pack again, the car went back to Ford. Diagnosis was either 1) the PCM (Engine Control Unit), 2) a Sensor (but I can't remember which one :oops: ) or 3) the wiring in-between. I gave authorisation for more investigation, which proved that the wiring (the cheapest option) was OK. Oh dear.

Ford's diagnostics didn't work too well on the old Puma though, so they couldn't determine what component was at fault - either way it was looking to be expensive. £1400 for a new PCM (although they seem to be available second-hand) or £450 for the Sensor. Either one could be fitted but not cure it, as it could be the other component, so a potential £2000 bill. Now, I know I've spent a lot on my car but that was a bit steep even for me.

On the advice of a petrolhead colleague, though, I got in touch with a company called Camco Automotive (http://camcoautomotive.co.uk), conveniently located nearby in Warrington. Experts at ECU issues, and offering a while-you-wait Bench Test for £12+VAT, I thought I'd give them a call and see if they could pin down the problem. I explained the issue over the phone and asked if they could help. "What car is it?" the gentleman asked. "2002 Ford Puma, 1.7". "Ah," he replied, "it's a bit old really... we can't do the simple tests like we can on the newer units."

Oh.

Anyway, I booked the car in and handed it over today. A few hours later and they had the answer. They managed to replicate the fault, and their diagnostics pointed to a HT issue. It turned out that one of the Spark Plugs had a hairline crack, causing it the spark against the Engine Block and result in the hesitation/misfire under heavy load. Ford had checked the Plugs and found no issue, but once cleaned one of them clearly showed the burn marks on the ceramic section, tracing the hairline crack. A replacement of all four Spark Plugs later by Camco and the Puma is purring once again.

Total cost - £163.00, so I feel like I've saved some money (Puma-maths!) Hope the info helps someone though, and I'd certainly use Camco again if the need arises - superb service.

glad you got it sorted but it does highlight how far backwards garages have gone...back in the late 70's if a car came into the garage where I worked (I was very young at the time) with a misfire, the foreman would say, change plugs/points see if it cures it, it usually did but if not plugs and points were simply put back on the shelf again and the coil would be next,and so on, total time..normally less than 20 minutes, cost to customer not a lot!
No plug in diagnostics, no electronic devices, just good old fashioned experience and common sense

Absolutely agree. I was little surprised at the diagnosis being so far off - but the tech at Ford showed me the diagnostic prints that he was working off. I think, as you say, sometimes techs do lose sight of the easiest approach first and rely solely on what the diag machine tells them. It could have been a bloody expensive error though - once coded, the ECUs cannot (as far as I am aware) be taken back off the car and re-used... I'd have then been stumping up for the £450 Sensor, with still no cure.

It also showed one of the issues of having a slightly older car - the knowledge of looking after some of the older cars is disappearing - certainly at main dealer level. At the car dealership I work at ('premium' German brand) anything older than around 13-15 years gets given to one of the three long-time techs - the younger guys simply can't fix them.

:cool: always easiest approach first, since I'm a cheapskate I'd have started with the plugs :lol:

Glad you've sorted it out and the cars well again!!

Latest posts

Back