Puma 1.7 - Stage 3 Tuning

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSP

Has anyone had the Puma 1.7 Stage 3 tuning done by Lightning Motorsports, (or anyone else for that matter)?

If so, what do you think of the results and how much bhp are you actually getting now?

I've asked LMS for a price, which I'm just waiting on but wondered if anyone has had it done and what they thought?

See the LMS link below:

http://www.lightningmotorsport.co.uk/tuning-kits/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

my brother has a puma which is not exactly stage 3 LMS but pretty close.
It has:
LM3 cams
FRP intake
flowed cylinder head with appr. 10.8:1 compression
Milltek manifold and custom manifold-back exhaust
knife edged 2.0 throttle body
custom map

The car has 160 flywheel bhp on the dyno (but that depends on the dyno).
On the road till 2000rpm the engine is a bit unresponsive but from there it pulls like a train. Especially the range 5000-7500 is very strong and it begs to be pushed there. The car also has the 4.26 final drive (FRP ratio) so the gearing is short and the car has a motorcycle(-ish) feel.

If money is no object it is very nice. But if you hunt for absolute power then a turbo or supercharger will not be far away costwise.

Alex

Little bit off topic but seeing as you've mention LMS, may I have your thoughts on the new website? My son has done the whole redesign and I'd love to pass some honest comments onto him :grin:

But I would definitely recommend them, not just because my car is being done there but Chris is a good bloke and knows exactly what he's doing when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Hi Davedrave

I'm not really the best person to ask as I've only visited the LMS website once or twice prior to this week and that was some time ago, so I don't really remember what it was like before, sorry.

No worries whatsoever! I hope you do choose to go with it because I know it is a good kit.

Website is better than the old one but is still very basic. The customer cars section is pretty poor which is a shame as its the perfect opportunity to showcase what the business does.

Another idea is a blog page which is posted to facebook, keeps people wanting to visit the website to see whats going behind the workshop doors

To be frank the site looks pretty basic but way better than the old one. I think that the shop section needs to be more complete.

I agree with Pumajay that it would be nice to have some kind of blog showing the daily action. My mind comes to Emerald site blog which is quite interesting.

Guys I really don't want to hijack this thread but thanks for all your comments, I have passed them onto my son.

He said that Chris wanted the site to be very simple and clean which he feels has been achieved. Dan is also sitting his A levels so has put everything else on hold but will be working with Chris again when they are finished to help finish up the shop and the website and integrating it with his Facebook page. Thanks for all your comments though, feedback is always good!

siju said:
[post]336763[/post] Hi,

my brother has a puma which is not exactly stage 3 LMS but pretty close.
It has:
LM3 cams
FRP intake
flowed cylinder head with appr. 10.8:1 compression
Milltek manifold and custom manifold-back exhaust
knife edged 2.0 throttle body
custom map

The car has 160 flywheel bhp on the dyno (but that depends on the dyno).
On the road till 2000rpm the engine is a bit unresponsive but from there it pulls like a train. Especially the range 5000-7500 is very strong and it begs to be pushed there. The car also has the 4.26 final drive (FRP ratio) so the gearing is short and the car has a motorcycle(-ish) feel.

If money is no object it is very nice. But if you hunt for absolute power then a turbo or supercharger will not be far away costwise.

Alex
Just a quick one, I know I'm digging up posts from the dead but who did the cylinder head porting please?

Hi,
it was done by a mechanic in Greece who specializes on cylinder head porting.
A little bit of topic but this whole bunch of modifications didn' t made much of a difference.
Before: FRP cams, FRP inlet, Miltek manifold, custom ECU map =>150bhp
After: LM3 cams, ported head, raised compression, FRP inlet, Miltek manifold, custom ECU map (remapped for the new specs)=>160bhp

on the same dyno with the difference only visible between 6000-7100RPM.

Latest posts

Back