Road Rally car standard brake options

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonesy255

My Rally car build is almost complete. Suspension and brakes are next on the list.

For the brakes I want to keep standard as have the 258mm sized discs anyway. I am hoping to get Mintex f4r pads and eill upgrade the brake fluid.

Disc options seem more limited and from what others have said on Facebook the pads wear the discs quickly anyway. I am thinking to either stay standard (I think someone said Pagid are best) or go with grooved and vented MTEC ones.

Anyone have any different advice about what discs to get? Thanks.

My Rally car build is almost complete. Suspension and brakes are next on the list.

For the brakes I want to keep standard as have the 258mm sized discs anyway. I am hoping to get Mintex f4r pads and eill upgrade the brake fluid.

Disc options seem more limited and from what others have said on Facebook the pads wear the discs quickly anyway. I am thinking to either stay standard (I think someone said Pagid are best) or go with grooved and vented MTEC ones.

Anyone have any different advice about what discs to get? Thanks.
I think most people would advise bigger discs to start with.

Last edited:
Standard ford discs will be better than anything mtec fish out of the pond, drill and groove and sell on. My focus st came with a new set when I bought it, they were noisy, caused and awful vibration when braking and got worse after some heavy braking. I threw them in the bin after 300 miles and fit genuine ford discs.

Are you staying Standard size to meet regs or just because you don't want to do extra work? If it's not for regs I can recommend the fiesta st150 front setup it's a direct bolt on (depending on what wheels you have) job and opens you up to more disc and pad options and it's a huge improvement over Standard size.

I've got some Ferodo racing pads, I'm not certain they'll fit your setup but they are listed for Puma. Not brand new but barely used. £25 posted to UK address

Attachments

• 20230607_191733.jpg
    20230607_191733.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230607_191742.jpg
    20230607_191742.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230607_191751.jpg
    20230607_191751.jpg
  • 20230607_191757.jpg
    20230607_191757.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230607_191804.jpg
    20230607_191804.jpg
Standard ford discs will be better than anything mtec fish out of the pond, drill and groove and sell on. My focus st came with a new set when I bought it, they were noisy, caused and awful vibration when braking and got worse after some heavy braking. I threw them in the bin after 300 miles and fit genuine ford discs.

Are you staying Standard size to meet regs or just because you don't want to do extra work? If it's not for regs I can recommend the fiesta st150 front setup it's a direct bolt on (depending on what wheels you have) job and opens you up to more disc and pad options and it's a huge improvement over Standard size.
At the minute just want to get out and about and use it for what I have built it for. Trying to source ST150 set up will delay that. Is probably something I will look at in the future though.

For road use I always stick to Mintex Discs and Pads as I've had bad experience with cheap brands warping the discs, especially with EBC Green Stuff pads.
Cheers John. Where do you source your Mintex discs from? Will avoid EBC these days as a lot of reviews say they are like chocolate. Oddly I had yellow stuff pads on my previous 205 GTI stage rally car and they were actually quite good.

Cheers John. Where do you source your Mintex discs from? Will avoid EBC these days as a lot of reviews say they are like chocolate. Oddly I had yellow stuff pads on my previous 205 GTI stage rally car and they were actually quite good.
Normally on eBay, but use the Mintex site to get the part number. 3 years ago I paid £40 for discs and pads in what Mintex call a brake box, they've gone up a bit since. You can just get the discs though, as you'll need uprated pads.

Back