Roll Up, Roll Up: Diagnose this weird noise!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Van_Dammesque

...and win a coconut! :wink:

I have this strange noise, I do not know if it is engine or suspension related so I have posted in this section as the noise is "under the bonnet" :grin:

The noise sounds like a rubbery creaking/vibration. Not particularly loud.
It happens when the car is is going approx. 10-15 mph. When I do approx. 60 mph the same noise appears. Any braking or pedal lift off seems to stop the noise. It also happens when I turn off the engine, you can hear it creak! The noise appears from the front right when driving but when switched off, the sound lasting only a few moments (3-4 seconds), I can here the rubbery creaking. If I jolt in my seat to jerk the car, it immediately stops the noise!

My guess (and I'll look this weekend) is worn engine mounts? Do these have a rubber cup? I can only do an external visual inspection.

I think this becasue certain vibrations, throttle/speed at 60 mph make the engine vibrate on the mounts a certain way? Could the 60 mph be significant? i.e. the most driven typical speed; that lasts the longest throughout the journey (I'm thinking motorways etc) be the main shape that is worn into the rubber cup? :pinkeye:
Also when the car is immediately switched off the car engine 'settles' into the worn engine mount shape?

Please help! :p

I forgot to add: the car is running quiet and, touch wood, is running sweet as a nut otherwise.

EDIT: The noise: think of a mobile phone, when ringing, produces an interference noise from speakers! :lol:

And lol, no remarks about it being my phone and im pressing a button when jerking in the car, oo er missus that doesn't sound right!? :p

martinthrapston said:
Very hard to say what it is,something's have to be listened to when car is being driven.

No coconut for you! :p

I had the mechanic check over the suspension when it was up on a ramp. Said it was fine, or should I say no noises! Don't think he could here it when going for a test drive maybe I'll check pipes too etc...it could be that I'm being pedantic about the smooth running of my car! :eek:k:

the creaking noise could be either suspension top mount, wishbone rear rubber bush, engine or gearbox mounts or it could be the bottom pulley as it is a vibration damper check them all properly im sure your find it :eek:k:

Another possibility is that the CV joint is on the way out on the respective side. That makes a creaking and cracking sound when getting worn.

Does it mainly happen when coming to a stop under light braking? Mines been doing this for a while and I've just been putting up with it. Although mine sounds like it's coming from underneath the floorpan. Baffling me to be honest. I suspect it's something electrical with mine as the pitch of the noise changes in distinct steps, not like a progressive way with changes d braking pressure, speed or engine revs.

stumc said:
Does it mainly happen when coming to a stop under light braking? Mines been doing this for a while and I've just been putting up with it. Although mine sounds like it's coming from underneath the floorpan. Baffling me to be honest. I suspect it's something electrical with mine as the pitch of the noise changes in distinct steps, not like a progressive way with changes d braking pressure, speed or engine revs.
Pnly when accel!

EDIT: The noise: think of a mobile phone, when ringing, produces an interference noise from speakers! :lol:

is the jack / eye loose in the rear storage area ?

mine was !

Davida2b said:

is the jack / eye loose in the rear storage area ?

mine was !
I don't think so, it is covered in bubble wrap and tightly placed in the little cubby hole on the left of the boot.

I shall try this weekend to remove everything inside and go for a run with it, including spare wheel!

UPDATE:

Well my car failed its MOT, front ball joint, rear suspension arm bushes and rear wheel bearing. They are all now sorted but the vibration remains and (as an advisory) it appears that a small leak in the flexi pipe of the cat is the cause of the noise.

Now the other things have been fixed I can hear the vibration at approx. 3 rpm in any gear so I am slightly happier that it is 'just' a gas leak!

Latest posts

Back