Swapping from MHB to MHA engine

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dejn

Hi guys,
as Ive read through the posts here, the time has come that my own puma has an engine swap coming, as I was able to get my hands on cheap tuned 1.7l engine going right around 135hp, while the original that is in the car has lost a bit of its power after the 200k km.
My main question is, is this possible to do while the car has a MHB and the one to go in is a MHA? Is there anything that needs to be taken care of? Also the previous owner of the tuned engine has removed the AC, how much of a hassle is to put the whole AC from one engine to another?
Thanks in advance, I'll be hoping for a wise reply.

Regards,
Daniel

Found this on the world wide web:
So the mistery has been solved
If you want to change an MHA engine with an MHB engine but to keep all from the MHA you need
MHB engine with or without gearbox
MHA engine loom both parts
MHA fuel rail including MHA injectors
MHA water cooling block the one below the coil
MHA catalitic converter with exhaust maniflood and 1 HEgo senzor
MHA ecu
MHA key and PATS
MHA millage conector
So basicaly i put an MHB engine in a MHA car keeping all MHA wirring
Everithing work engine started at half key
My friend is very happy me also biggrin.gif:D:D:D
Work time ~ 20 Hours with a full service making all fluids and filters changed
Kind regards Radu

Source: http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=89535

As far as I am aware, both engines are physically the same and I don't see the need to swap looms, ECU or anything.

If you want to just swap the actual engine, just do that.

Whether you can get the A/C swapped over would depend on the position of the power steering pump etc.

We managed in the end, only the exhaust pipes going down from the engine did not completely reach the exhaust and it is not sealed properly so atm it sounds like one of those old BMWs with cracked exhaust, but everything else is running smoothly and it was about 10hr job for 2 guys. AC was also no problem at all.

Does anyone know to tell a MHB apart from a MHA?. I have conflicting information of when this transition was implemented in every country. My car is German, I live in Barcelona.

In case my car were MHA: do you happen to know if I can convert it to MHB by adding a lambda sonde?

Any info is MASSIVELY appreciated since only Euro III cars are now allowed to circulate in traffic now. So it depends on this whether I can drive my car or not.

Latest posts

Back