What seats can I change to?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huw_jenks

Hi folks, I'm finding the front seats in my 2001 Puma way too uncomfortable. The back of the seat seems to be pushing out against me, half way up my spine. My last car was an MG Metro, and somehow the seats in that were far more comfortable. So I'm looking to change the seats over and would like to know what the easiest options are.

I'm looking for something that will be an easy swap, I'd like to avoid lots of fannying around with subframes and stuff. Some comfortable half bucket seats like the Millenium Recaro's look ideal, but I want to be able to pick up a set off Ebay or from a scrapyard that won't cost the earth. I don't really fancy the full on bucket seats with harness straps, a bit too boy racer unless they're in a track car in my opinion!

So I'm guessing that any of the nicer Puma seats would be an eay fit, but which ones are a definite improvement?
And apart from Puma seats can I assume that Fiesta seats would also fit? What about any other Fords? I saw some full leather seats from a Scorpio that looked amazing, but I might be wandering into the realms of fantasy there.

Cheers!

The full black leather interior from Thunder Puma's comes up on eBay every so often. I have two Puma's and have purchased full leather interiors for both and have founf them very comfortable (I am 6ft 4").

The other alternative is to find the interior from a Millenium Puma (but expect to pay £250).

Alternatively try these guys: http://www.sportseats4u.co.uk/

AshLaw said:
[post]354079[/post] The full black leather interior from Thunder Puma's comes up on eBay every so often. I have two Puma's and have purchased full leather interiors for both and have founf them very comfortable (I am 6ft 4").

The other alternative is to find the interior from a millennium Puma (but expect to pay £250).

Alternatively try these guys: http://www.sportseats4u.co.uk/

Thanks Ashlaw,

So it sounds like Thunder's would be an improvement then, but they do look very similar in shape to the standard seats which makes me wonder if I would still get the same problem.

How easy is it to fit seats from another Ford like a Fiesta or a Focus? Or are there any other car manufacturers that people have used the seats from with relative ease?

Tbh - I wouldn't know - if your car is a late 1999 onwards then black leather Thunder seats are a straight bolt out, bolt in.

The only issue that you will have with any new seats is the seat belt pretensioner sensors will need sorting (I used an auto electrician to sort this out) but there is a How to Guide on this forum on how to sort this.

Otherwise the sensor light on the dashboard will not go out and it's now an MOT fail.

huw_jenks said:
[post]354075[/post] Hi folks, I'm finding the front seats in my 2001 Puma way too uncomfortable. The back of the seat seems to be pushing out against me, half way up my spine. My last car was an MG Metro, and somehow the seats in that were far more comfortable.......and would like to know what the easiest options are.
Sounds like you have a 'long back' and the lower lumbar part of it is completely unsupported by the seat. A possible solution (a far less exciting one than replacing the seats, I grant you) is to have a cushion on the rear part of the seat you sit on. This will reduce the acute back/seat angle ratio and your lower back will then be supported as it should be.

Lorry drivers drive for hours on end and run about, like spring lambs, during their breaks. Now go to any motorway stop and spot the 'sporty car' drivers - they are the one walking about like bent up old men after driving for just 2 or 3 hours. The reason is the 'half open penknife' sitting position on these cars, plus the fact that our own body ratios are all different to one another.

Try a small cushion, the worst that will happen is that you'll 'waste' an hour trying it. I'm just over 6 foot, but with a long back, and this sorted it out for me.

Thunder and Black editions had the standard seats but in leather, so i'd be surprised if the cushion shape was any different.

IIRC mk3 Fiesta seats drop in with little or no tinkering and the superbly 90s trimmed seats of the Si (I think) are mega comfortable. Or some generic buckets can be found for cheaps if condition isn't your biggest priority, as I got mine for £60 and they do the job nicely, if a bit worn on the driver's backrest, but that's just due to the age.

Millie seats if you can get them, the Thunder seats are no better than the cloth, if anything I found them worse as you also slide around as you don't have friction on your side like cloth seats.

Shame they never did the Recaros in cloth like the older fords

On eBay at the moment - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-PUMA-MILLENNIUM-2001-RECARO-FULL-LEATHER-SEATS-and-DOOR-CARDS-/172259161869?hash=item281b72370d:g:57cAAOSw-KFXdYMU

TGPlayer1 said:
IIRC mk3 Fiesta seats drop in with little or no tinkering and the superbly 90s trimmed seats of the Si (I think) are mega comfortable. Or some generic buckets can be found for cheaps if condition isn't your biggest priority, as I got mine for £60 and they do the job nicely, if a bit worn on the driver's backrest, but that's just due to the age.

That sounds interesting, I'll keep an eye out. Probably easier to come by given how many Fiesta's were produced compared to Puma's.

Lord B said:
[post]354115[/post] Millie seats if you can get them, the Thunder seats are no better than the cloth, if anything I found them worse as you also slide around as you don't have friction on your side like cloth seats.

Having looked at some photos that's kind of what I expected. Leather or half leather seats would be nice, but it's really the shape I need to change rather than the covering.

AshLaw said:
[post]354122[/post] On eBay at the moment - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-PUMA-MILLENNIUM-2001-RECARO-FULL-LEATHER-SEATS-and-DOOR-CARDS-/172259161869?hash=item281b72370d:g:57cAAOSw-KFXdYMU

I saw those and they look brilliant! Shame about the price though. I suppose that's the going rate for them as they look like really good seats.

The problem with the seats I mentioned is that they only came in the 2000 year Millenium Puma. You don't tend to see too many scrapped Millies, so these seats are a rare find. If I had the money I'd buy them for my Puma.

We have a millie a thunder and standard cloth trim 02 reg. Cloth and thunder are exact same profile and I do actually find cloth better as you do move about in thunder seats. Mille are far better but do wear badly on outside bolster edges.

I think you'd be disappointed with the Thunder seats, Huw. For a car that can go around corners like the Puma, I find they offer poor lateral support. I, too, am looking for a suitable replacement set (http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29846) - as yet I haven't found anything that I like. Like you, I find most of the after-market seats a bit too OTT. Might have to check out Fiesta MkIII seats as TGPlayer1 suggested.

MikeT66 said:
[post]354272[/post] I think you'd be disappointed with the Thunder seats, Huw. For a car that can go around corners like the Puma, I find they offer poor lateral support. I, too, am looking for a suitable replacement set (http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29846) - as yet I haven't found anything that I like. Like you, I find most of the after-market seats a bit too OTT. Might have to check out Fiesta MkIII seats as TGPlayer1 suggested.

The Fiesta MkIII wingback seats look great, just need some covers on them so they don't look too out of place.

I'm currently looking at some Fiesta MkV seats and the back appears to be a different shape yet the runners etc look to be identical to the Puma, which would make them ideal. Can anyone confirm if they are just a straight swap?

Just as an aside Huw- I'm selling some comfy Corbeau reclining seats at the mo in the classifieds if you haven't got anything sorted yet.. they do have strap holes and are quite sporty but are much comfier than the standard cloth ones. Mibbe not what you're wanting but take a look and PM me if you want..
Cheers, Allan.
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=30348

I have the old ka full leather interior in mine, fit like a glove and very comfy. Holds me so much better than the standard puma cloths. If that helps at all :)

Latest posts

Back