P888UMA plate, Magnum Grey Thunder Spares Or Repair (Mot Rust Fail)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JopieBK

med_gallery_1379_18_35608.jpg

med_gallery_1379_18_106350.jpg

Fourteen years of Puma ownership is coming to an end. We had a Pacific Green 1.7 with this plate on for twelve years until it got written off in a minor accident two years ago and picked up this Thunder to replace it. I've always loved the colour, wheels and leather of these cars but it was getting ropey on rust when we got it and now like so many Pumas it's succumbed. :(

Failed the MOT on rust -
Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded Sill (2.4.A.3)
Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded Inner wheel arch to rear quarter panel detached (2.4.A.3)
Nearside Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded Centre of floor (5.2.6)

I had one quote for £500/8-9 hours labour to have it fixed, but when they got started they took the carpet and seat up and said it'd take more work, maybe removing the rear axle? and it jumped to £1500 which I couldn't really justify. So it's on here in case somebody wants to either take it and break it or invest some of their own time into it getting it up to scratch.

I wouldn't bother if it weren't for the facts that (i) it's a Magnum Thunder, so one of the rarer types, (ii) the bodywork is otherwise in great condition for the age - a tiny dent or two and a faint scuff on the rear bumper is about all, and (iii) it has a P888UMA plate.

If somebody wants to buy it with the plate on that needs to be reflected in the offer. If you're interested in just the plate make me an offer, bearing in mind the cost I'll have to pay to retain and transfer it (about £105 I think).

I'm not listing every plus and minus of the car as it's being sold for spares/repair. The main things worth mentioning that might not be obvious:

- Location is Rugby, just off the M1.
- No MOT and SORN means trailering it away or driving it to a place of repair for a pre-booked appointment (an appointment to repair the items that caused the MOT fail).
- It runs just fine. 122,500 on the clock. Engine management light has been intermittent and last few months permanent, was going to have it checked as part of the service if it passed the MOT :( No running issues that I've ever found though.
- Cambelt was done when I got it (two years ago).
- Tyres are all Goodyear Efficient Grip that went on last October, barely done a thousand miles so loads of tread.
- The spare is, unusually, also a Thunder multispoke alloy. The tyre is a P6000 (possibly original) with loads of tread too, although I was going to replace this due to age! A bit of history anyway!
- The arches are only just now starting to show rust, about a thumb's length or less over each.
- Has the standard Puma CD player fitted, not the 6-disc. Rest of the interior is standard leather etc though

Photos of the car are below. The interior looks much as you expect. If you want any other photos or you've particular questions, just ask.

Before you ask, I don't know how much I want for it or for the plate - I've already had two car dealers asking me that without giving me figures themselves. I don't know how much this car and plate are worth to people so I'm putting them here for two weeks to see what kind of offers I get for car and/or plate, otherwise I'll split the plate and car, sell the latter on eBay and take my time with the registration.

If you're going to make an offer, then if you're interested in buying the plate and not the car let me know; if you're only interested in the car and not the plate the let me know; if you're only interested in the car with the plate - let me know!

JBK

med_gallery_1379_18_170240.jpg

med_gallery_1379_18_127488.jpg

gallery_1379_18_124895.jpg

med_gallery_1379_18_7565.jpg

med_gallery_1379_18_90686.jpg

med_gallery_1379_18_71349.jpg

As far as I've read you can remove it providing it meets certain criteria, i.e. has been taxed within the last x years.

There's been examples on other forums where cars have been stored since like 2004 and still, last year they've removed the plate on to retention.

The general recommendation is to just give it a go and see if it works now since it' all online and doesn't take long.

The registration is now on retention. I'll advertise it separately in due course.

Catweasel said:
[post]364641[/post] Are you able to transfer a plate from a vehicle that has no MOT ?
It doesn't require an MOT but it does require that the vehicle can "move under its own power" as well as having been continuously taxed or on SORN for the past so many years.

That's basically to stop people breaking a car themselves and avoiding paying the retention fee keeping the plate on the shell until its sold. It mattered more when you used to have to pay a yearly fee to keep a plate on retention, but it looks like that fee doesn't apply now.

Plus it doesn't take that much for a car to fail its MOT and not be economically viable to repair - a lot of people would be faced with having a month at most to decide to repair or retain their plates, or if they took it in after the previous MOT expired, losing their plate unexpectedly! Especially if (as almost happened here) somebody booked their car in for repairs that turned out to be three times what was expected by which time the MOT has expired - they'd have to pay the cost of repairs or lose the plate!

Latest posts

Back