Back on the road!

General discussion area relating to the Ford Puma, any off topic or threads that are deemed chat/waffle will be moved to the relevant areas! Please keep ON TOPIC at all times.

Moderator: Moderators

DradusContact
Guru!
Guru!
Model: Thunder

Back on the road!

Post by DradusContact » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:19 pm

Hi all. I put a little intro post on last year but haven't followed it up. I bought a Thunder last year foe £400 but couldn't afford to get it insured as a 3rd card until late last year. Well, its up and running now. The my true surprise it passed its MOT on Monday with just a new tyre and a brake pipe. So, I got it up on a ramp too and again to my surprise, i found it's not in bad shape underneath. It's had some welding done at the back but not as bad as I feared. I need to pull my finger out now and get some jobs done on it.

How many are still here from the old days anyway?

Matty
2 x

Dal
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Model: Other

Back on the road!

Post by Dal » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:46 pm

Welcome back (properly) Matt.

Get some pictures up!! :ok:
0 x

DradusContact
Guru!
Guru!

Back on the road!

Post by DradusContact » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:03 pm

I gladly would but my days of cushy library assistant job are over. Factory workin' man now so can't post from my mobile. What have you got now Dal?
0 x

Dal
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Back on the road!

Post by Dal » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:54 pm

This one for the daily grind: viewtopic.php?f=110&t=31629

And this one for fun: viewtopic.php?f=110&t=29745
0 x

DradusContact
Guru!
Guru!

Back on the road!

Post by DradusContact » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:18 am

Wow an RS. We've got a Grand C-Max aka the battle bus, i've got a crappy 57 plate fiesta and then of course the new Puma. Seems quiet on here?
0 x

Dal
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Back on the road!

Post by Dal » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:10 am

Normally goes a bit quieter over the winter - normally livens up when show season starts.
0 x

Cherie
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Back on the road!

Post by Cherie » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:22 am

It is a little quieter than it used to be, most noticeably in the lounge. A lot of the original members haven't had a puma for years, and they just don't visit the forum any more.
0 x

DradusContact
Guru!
Guru!

Back on the road!

Post by DradusContact » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:42 am

They're right at the lowest point now, see them on eBay for 150 quid. There's a lad in work who is 22 and he didn't even know what a puma was. I felt old
0 x

MikeT66
Adolescent
Adolescent

Back on the road!

Post by MikeT66 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:53 pm

DradusContact wrote: They're right at the lowest point now, see them on eBay for 150 quid. There's a lad in work who is 22 and he didn't even know what a puma was. I felt old
There are techs at my local Ford dealer that have never worked on one and rarely see them!

I keep hoping for a resurgence of interest in the Puma. I remain bemused at to why the classic car publications still avoid it in favour of other cars of a similar age. I think the Puma has featured maybe once in Modern Classics... and that's it. Even the Ford magazines leave them alone - although they are happy to feature Fiesta's, etc from the end of the 1990s... and I know which is the better driver's car. It's a shame, as a bit of 'media spotlight' would certainly bring some new interest in the Forum/threads. Then again, didn't even one of the main Ford Fairs last year have a big focus on the RS as it was a 10-year anniversary, but 'forgot' the 20-year anniversary of the Puma at the same time?
0 x
Ford Puma Thunder 2002

Dal
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Back on the road!

Post by Dal » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:33 pm

MikeT66 wrote:Then again, didn't even one of the main Ford Fairs last year have a big focus on the RS as it was a 10-year anniversary, but 'forgot' the 20-year anniversary of the Puma at the same time?
The organizers apologized to Cherie after the event. Fat lot of good that was.
MikeT66 wrote:It's a shame, as a bit of 'media spotlight' would certainly bring some new interest in the Forum/threads.
Never know what might happen in the future to re-ignite the marque... :pose2:
1 x

DradusContact
Guru!
Guru!

Back on the road!

Post by DradusContact » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:40 pm

I think Ford have really lost their bottle in the last decade. They have dropped any car that might be a risk, even the 3 door focus is gone. All the cars look more and more the same, cars like the original Kuga were really striking, and despite the new one being a nice looking motor, especially the ST Line, its got more and more boring in my humble opinion. Really the only stand-out models now are the Mustang and RS. And WTF is that KA+? Even the SportKa and StreetKa, which were pretty limp, were at least a bit different.

You hear rumours of a 'Fiesta RS' or a 'New Puma' or 'New Capri' but I can't see it happening.
1 x

Dal
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Back on the road!

Post by Dal » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:58 pm

DradusContact wrote:You hear rumours of a 'Fiesta RS' or a 'New Puma' or 'New Capri' but I can't see it happening.
1 x

MikeT66
Adolescent
Adolescent

Back on the road!

Post by MikeT66 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:32 pm

DradusContact wrote: I think Ford have really lost their bottle in the last decade. They have dropped any car that might be a risk, even the 3 door focus is gone. All the cars look more and more the same, cars like the original Kuga were really striking, and despite the new one being a nice looking motor, especially the ST Line, its got more and more boring in my humble opinion. Really the only stand-out models now are the Mustang and RS. And WTF is that KA+? Even the SportKa and StreetKa, which were pretty limp, were at least a bit different.

You hear rumours of a 'Fiesta RS' or a 'New Puma' or 'New Capri' but I can't see it happening.
Yes - the 'new Capri' has been on the cars for... 20 years? I don't really see much of a market for sports coupes now, in all honesty - it's all SUV-crossovers and do-it-all hatches these days. I think even a Puma-like model return would step massively on the toes of the Fiesta/Focus performance models, so can't see that either. Wasn't one of the reasons the Puma was canned originally because Ford wanted to push the SportKa and Focus?

I'm actually a massive fan of coupes, but can see why the market would be limited - I think even Toyota have struggled with the GT86 (although it's been hit a few times with the ugly stick - something unforgivable in a coupe whose main raison d'etre is style over function). Why put up with compromised seating/access when a five-door can offer similar performance without these issues. You just can't beat the visual aspects of a coupe though - Capri/Puma looked, and still look, fabulous. To me, anyway.

As for Ford losing their bottle, I think most manufacturers have. Look at anything from Mercedes/BMW/Audi/VW, etc, and apart from the top-end stuff it's all bland look-a-likes designed not to to offend or challenge in any way. But if you think Ford are bad, take a look at woeful and hopeless Vauxhall for genuinely tepid motoring-with-no-passion-or-aspiration products! Welcome to modern motoring, which is why I love my Puma - still looks unique. In fairness, I think Ford USA has done a better job of keeping some special cars - Mustang, GT, F-150 Raptor - all would find their way into my garage come my big future lottery win. The Mondeo is actaully not a bad car either, but the 'new' KA ( I liked the original), etc are horrid things.
0 x
Ford Puma Thunder 2002

MikeT66
Adolescent
Adolescent

Back on the road!

Post by MikeT66 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:29 am

As a little update to the thread, I found this whilst searching for some Puma parts...

Concept car from 2008 as a possible Puma replacement. Looks like it might have been interesting if Ford had pursued the idea. What a shame.
1 x
Ford Puma Thunder 2002

Simonavis
Adolescent
Adolescent
Model: 1.7

Back on the road!

Post by Simonavis » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:22 am

Whoa that looks absolutely gorgeous, would have been a worthy Puma replacement!!
0 x
Who knew owning a cat becomes and obsession!!

Return to “Puma Area”