front seat belt replacement

General discussion area relating to the Ford Puma, any off topic or threads that are deemed chat/waffle will be moved to the relevant areas! Please keep ON TOPIC at all times.

Moderator: Moderators

w207
Adolescent
Adolescent
Model: 1.7

Post by w207 » Fri May 29, 2015 7:44 pm

Hi everyone, I need to replace my front drivers seat belt just wondering if there is anything I should know before I start, any advice is welcome and some basic pointers on how to get to the thing would be great :? I am hoping to nip down to the scrappy in the morning hopefully I will find one, does a fiesta seat belt fit? Thanks again!
1 x

quest63
Major General
Major General

Re: front seat belt replacement

Post by quest63 » Fri May 29, 2015 8:10 pm

Pm on way :thumbs:
0 x

Project Delta Kilo (aka Pumber Thunder)

meteor

Post by meteor » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:09 pm

I would like to know if there some instructions online and if Fiesta seat belts are suitables for the Puma as I am planing to change seatbelts in the near future
0 x

meteor

Post by meteor » Tue May 15, 2018 6:54 am

meteor wrote:I would like to know if there some instructions online and if Fiesta seat belts are suitables for the Puma as I am planing to change seatbelts in the near future

Does the Fiesta seat belts fit on the Puma???, thanks in advance
0 x

Edicris
Model: 1.4

Post by Edicris » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:00 am

I have the same question, i pretend dismount de front seat belt, because when rolling, it goes very slow.
How start?
Please, answer me.
Thanks.
Eduardo R.
Ouzenda, 10/8/2018 (PORTUGAL)
0 x

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

Post by Wild E. Coyote » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:25 pm

No need for replacement. Wash your belts. Take a bucket of warm water, pull out the belt as far as it goes, clamp it at top to prevent being wound in and soak it in the bucket. Drop some good garment detergent in and stir and leave it for at least 30 mins. After that, wash the belts by hand. I used IKEA food plastic clamps for keeping the food closed. It is soft plastic but still can clamp belt pretty well. Pull the belt few times through it and you will see the dirt accumulating on the clamp and water turning darker by each passing. After few passes, throw that dark solution and put in warm fresh water. Redo do the procedure using that clean water. If the water turns darkish, replace it again. When water stays clean after few passes, take some towel and put the belt onto it to speed up the drying process (might be overkill ATM if I read right about the temperatures in Portugal). After few hours unclamp the top of the belt (it should be dry) and let it wind in. It should go on its own. ALso, clean the plastic guide at B pillar as it can be dirty as well.
After that I suggest you use some DRY TEFLON spray just for that purpose to apply to the belt (to make it more slippy) and it will go in on its own.
BE CAREFUL! Many sprays leave oily residue and will mark your clothes; so test in advance on some rag or something similar. If you are unhappy with the spray, it will clean off with brake cleaner.
Hope that helps
0 x

Wild E. Coyote
Guru!
Guru!

Post by Wild E. Coyote » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:37 pm

Did browse through my iPhone and found some images of the process... Hope it will help and guide you

Clamping the belt

Water and detergent solution

Soaking the belt

Water is turning dark after 20 minutes or so

Cleaning the belt additionally with plastic clamps. Squueze the clamp and pull the belt through

The clamps will be full of dirt.

The water after

Belt drying out

And that's it. The belt will go in far easier and you might not need the teflon spray.
But if belt still is slow, use the teflon spray for that purpose and it will solve your problem.

These images are from my Honda which had that problem when I bought it and after the above treatment the saftey belts now go in unaided as they should

EDIT: this is the stuff I am using. German, really good one. The belts are lubricated, but not greasy in any way. Highly recommended!

1 x

Return to “Puma Area”