Blown breather pipe from gear box

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have a spark from a plug lead with plug inserted and earthed on the rocker cover, when cranking over the engine?

A noid light is a simple and inexpensive way to confirm fuel injectors are getting a signal.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-VS213-Noid-Light-Set-6pc-Fuel-Injector-Signal-Fault-Test-GM-Ford-Bosch/303871650228?epid=1205517355&hash=item46c02969b4:g:ieUAAOSwpIRgGsDi

mmc757 said:
A noid light is a simple and inexpensive way to confirm fuel injectors are getting a signal.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-VS213-Noid-Light-Set-6pc-Fuel-Injector-Signal-Fault-Test-GM-Ford-Bosch/303871650228?epid=1205517355&hash=item46c02969b4:g:ieUAAOSwpIRgGsDi
Hi thanks for a reply. Would an ohm reader all reading at 15 ohm not be as sufficient? Could it still be faulty?
Thanks again to all of you taking time to give some advice. She’s booked in next Tuesday if I can’t get anything out of her the weekend. I’ll be sure to let you know when I find out

Alex , You mentioned earlier that you had driven through water . In view of the fact you have sparks at the plugs and fuel at the injectors .

Then the next thing to check is do you have compression?

I am beginning to wonder if the cam belt has broken or stripped a tooth. Any ideas when it was last changed?

It may have also gone hydraulic if the water was deep enough damaging the rods and pistons?

Are you certain you last filled up with petrol and not diesel?

You could either borrow a compression tester , you will need the long reach thread adaptor or a long reach rubber cone type of push on and hold there adaptor for whichever tester you can use.
You could also undo approx 4x 10mm socket bolts and pull the front cover back slightly to see if both cams move when someone cranks it over for you.

Alex11jg said:
mmc757 said:
Hi thanks for a reply. Would an ohm reader all reading at 15 ohm not be as sufficient? Could it still be faulty?
Thanks again to all of you taking time to give some advice. She’s booked in next Tuesday if I can’t get anything out of her the weekend. I’ll be sure to let you know when I find out
The noid light confirms that the injectors are actually being signaled to open. Measuring resistance only determines shorts or opens in circuits.

DOH said:
Alex , You mentioned earlier that you had driven through water . In view of the fact you have sparks at the plugs and fuel at the injectors .

Then the next thing to check is do you have compression?

I am beginning to wonder if the cam belt has broken or stripped a tooth. Any ideas when it was last changed?

It may have also gone hydraulic if the water was deep enough damaging the rods and pistons?

Are you certain you last filled up with petrol and not diesel?

You could either borrow a compression tester , you will need the long reach thread adaptor or a long reach rubber cone type of push on and hold there adaptor for whichever tester you can use.
You could also undo approx 4x 10mm socket bolts and pull the front cover back slightly to see if both cams move when someone cranks it over for you.
Hi, on my mechanics 1st glance he thinks gasket, he’s going to do a compression test today. Be gutted if it is

If the head gasket was blowing across 2 cylinders , it would still start on the remaining 2 but obviously be misfiring. So I think the problem maybe more serious.

If thats the case you could buy a replacement engine from Ian Griffiths his details are on this site "Puma Bits"

Alex11jg said:
She’s booked in next Tuesday if I can’t get anything out of her the weekend. I’ll be sure to let you know when I find out
So what was the diagnosis from the garage?

He thinks a valve, but he never took the top of to prove. So still not 100% diagnosed. I’ve done compression test myself and cylinder 2 is about 5 psi below the rest. Trying to find a local mechanic willing to do it for good price. Garages close to me all charge ridiculous amounts for labour and all try and make money from the parts.

What were your actual compression readings, that you did?
As 5psi difference would not stop the car from starting.

Latest posts

Back