how can you read the digital fuel gauage

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clairestracey

this happened last week but i thought i was going mad so disregard it but its happened again this week so i'll ask.

im asking about the fuel read out you get in the digi dash its about the 8 press of the button how do you read the bugger its got three digits on it when i left work this morning the fuel light came one so i checked how much fuel was left and it said 065 i take it this meant 6.5 litres so im assuming, 10 liters would read 100 and 11 litres would read 110.

i went to tesco and at 104.9 p a litre i put in 25 pounds worth of petrol which works out as 24 litres, soo adding 24 litres to the 6.5 i had in there already i should now have 30.5 litres in my tank sounds around right as my gauge was three quarters full.

so i was expecting the digi dash to tell me i had 305 fuel in my tank but it read 18.5 either the digi read out is false or ive got the complete wrong method of reading it help please.

also ive got a 5967 in the dash meaning according to some people fuel warning indicator short to ground i wonder if thats got anything to do with it.

I only filled up last night right up to the brim, so I should have a good 35 litres in my tank still. I'll see what it says when I start it tonight to go home (at work now) and report back ;)

I don't think it's that reliable to be honest. But then neither is the analogue gauge on the dash!

Digital gauge? Is this when you 'unlock' the odometer display, so to speak?

yes its about the 8 press of the butt i think it comes after kilometers per hour your cannot miss it says fuel

hmmm i never thought of that lol is a possiability i got told though that when the low warning indicator light comes you have a 5 litre reserve does the digi dash not read whats in the reserve then as when my light came up this morning it said 065 i presumed this ment 6.5 litres and a litre is not going to get you 65 miles and certianly should get you at least 40 miles not 6.5 miles if this is the case it must not read whats in the reserve tank apparently there seperate from the main fuel tank only what people on puma people have said lol

it kinda figures now though if thats the case it i had 5 liters when the low fuel indicator came on and i put in 22 litres that would make 5 gallons 2 litres if my car pushes 40 miles per gallon as its ment to that would make around 200 miles perhaps i had a little less in the tank but it makes more sence reading it that way as by these caculations its 20 miles out bear in mind im not exactly sure how much was in the reserve i think youve hit the nail on the hard there thanks lol

Reserve tank? Where's that then? Mine's in the boot in a green plastic container :funny:

It may have read 65 (as in miles) when on tickover when you started as it assumes that's how much you'll throttle you'll give it until the fuel runs out.

Personally, I don't think the fuel thing on the digital dash is that clever to know how many miles you have left, but you never know :)

Dal said:
Personally, I don't think the fuel thing on the digital dash is that clever to know how many miles you have left, but you never know :)

Sorry car - I take it back.

I started up to come home and the "fuel" thing said 233 and I know i'd done 25 miles since filling up to the brim.
When I got home, 20 miles away just now it reads 214. I left it in that mode all the way home and it would certainly seem that the car is trying to constantly work out how many miles you have left to run. When accelerating off a roundabout, it would go down to 190, but then back to 55-60mph, it would settle back to 214 - 233 on my journey home.

Clever little thing. I'll update -->this<-- guide with additional info.

:eek:k:

I don't know why Ford did not make more of a feature out of it like on the Ghia Mondeos etc where you can see fuel left, trip, avg. mpg etc etc?

Cost cutting no doubt.

have a look at my same post on puma people its turned into a bit of a mess talk about obcessed with puntuation spelling blagh blagh blagh

Trouble is, some people have no tact on occasion. They may have a perfectly valid point, but tend to wade in with hobnailed boots and a sledgehammer! :lol:

The value displayed is simply the fuel sensor voltage converted to a number between 0 and 255 using an simple analogue to digital converter.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with the number of miles left or litres remaining in the tank.

Must be coincidence that it would seem to be quite accurate as far as I've seen.

Back