Starting Problems

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thfc

I wonder if anyone can help me. The Puma is having some problems starting of late. It doesn't do it all the time but sometimes it just keeps turning over and the only way to get it to catch is to give it a bit a throttle. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Any help would be most appreciated as it driving me nuts :cry:

Im curious to know why too, as ours does this sometimes but only when the engine is warm.
its never done it from cold.

It's a Puma trait. Happened to me a couple of days after I got it. My intuition said give it a couple of seconds to prime the fuel pump and it hasn't repeated itself in 2½ years except when I forgot to wait ;)

I then came on here a few months later and saw it was common with most Puma's that they didn't like short journeys followed by a quick restart. IIRC some say to give the accelerator a pump (warm start procedure or something) but I've never needed to when I've waited a few seconds.

Plus I was told years ago never to pump the accelerator on a car I had - can't remember if it was because it was an injection, it ran on unleaded or it had a catalytic converter and/or it was just that car in particular, either way I've never done it and never needed to.

When I put said car (Carlton GSi 24v) into auction after many trouble free years some idiot who worked there pumped the accelerator to start it at the auction, the car wouldn't start for the rest of the night so wasn't put up for sale which really pi$$ed me off as the 'idiot' and the management found out shortly afterwards as I'd made a point of telling them NOT to do exactly what they did.

The 'hot start' procedure as stated in the manual: foot all the way down on the accelerator, turn the key, and lift your foot off the accelerator. ;)

I've always followed the manual instruction to fully depress the clutch coupled with the advice on here to wait a few seconds for the dash lights to extinguish before starting. Touch wood have started first time, every time pretty much instantaneously.... except just the one time after a thorough cleaning where it took a couple seconds longer.

As above 'Hot start procedure', Pumas do not like short runs, foot on gas pedal, crank over engine until it fires up, foot off gas

alfie74 said:
[post]359720[/post] i know its an old post but my puma 1.6 doesn't like short journeys either
I do quite a lots of short journeys since working at new place, only thing is if you just turned engine off and wanna drive away again, you gotta hold the gas pedal until the engine fires up, it's like 2 seconds. But if the engine if off like a minute or so, just turn the key, wait for the noise to go away, when fuel pump does it's thing and start the engine without touching the gas pedal. Keep in mind though, it's January and takes a bit longer, especially my battery isn't in best shape, still engine starts in a few seconds

You think a Puma is bad, try an RX8. They flood if stop started when cold and it's either a 15 min job to start it or AA / dealer recovery ........

And that's a newer design.

Bit of a thread resurrection but I've been having the same 'problem' - good to see it's not really an issue. I'm not v. good at being patient and waiting so I'll give this a go...

Muzboy said:
[post]359796[/post] You think a Puma is bad, try an RX8. They flood if stop started when cold and it's either a 15 min job to start it or AA / dealer recovery ........

And that's a newer design.

I had an RX8 for a few months and had this amongst its many faults. Took me 2 days and countless battery charges/jumps from my 2 litre golf to eventually get it running after I'd replaced the battery.

The plume of oily smoke that came out of the back was immense...

i had this to, i replaced the plugs and battery and cured it, i do find if its been raining hard, she will start then stop and then it takes a bit of cranking to re-start it

i drive for a living and I have always paused between turning the key and actually starting, cars, vans, lorries, always worked so still do it now no matter what I am driving.....my wife jumps in her car, turns key starts car in one go without any pause to let fuel pump prime or the various electrics to kick in...annoys the hell out of me :grin:

Latest posts

Back