Engine capacity

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DradusContact

What exactly, does engine capacity mean? Like i know the puma is 1.7, and thats 1700cc, or cubic centimetres, but i dont actually know what that means. Is that how much fuel it can burn per second, or minute, or what?

also, what does a puma have in common with an electric kettle? answers on a postcard please!

It refers to the volume of displacement from the cylinder at the bottom of it's stroke to the top. Or as wiki puts it:

Engine displacement is defined as the total volume of air/fuel mixture an engine can draw in during one complete engine cycle; it is normally stated in cubic centimetres, litres or cubic inches. In a piston engine, this is the volume that is swept as the pistons are moved from top dead centre to bottom dead centre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_capacity" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(There's a cool little GIF to the right of the page ;) )

That's what I've always thought anyway.

In common with a kettle? Gissa clue?!

Its not a set in stone rule but have a look at the marker on the side and see if anything rings a bell. I could of looked on wiki i wanted to see if anyone knew!

Ah.. I see what you mean now ;)

Make sure you divide the capacity by how many pistons there are (ie 4 usually unless its a 2CV, V6, V5 or V8....) and that will be how much the piston displaces per stroke.

Hence why the Puma has an even number of cc...

RED IMPACT said:
Make sure you divide the capacity by how many pistons there are (ie 4 usually unless its a 2CV, V6, V5 or V8....) and that will be how much the piston displaces per stroke.

Hence why the Puma has an even number of cc...

eh? it's 1679cc. it's diameter of bore x Pi x stroke. Hardly ever a nice round number. 419.75cc per cylinder on a pooma :lol:

Sorry...had a few beers and was obviously chattin shit! Duely noted! Sorry again guys! Whoopsy!

In fact...seing as your a mod just delete it...lol

*sniggers* nah... I think we'll just leave it there. ;)

Pissed @ 4pm? You start early don't you? :shock:

Back