The 'r' word

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DradusContact

I gave mine its first real clean of the year on saturday and i was horrified at what i found. I check my the inside of the engine regularly, make sure it has everything it needs, but i never really expected rust to appear on a modern ford. Shows how niave i was. What can i do! I feel like im going to be sick.

[albumimg]293[/albumimg]

Typical place for a puma to get rust unfortunately.

Some people rub it all down, treat for rust and respray, only for the rust to reappear 6 months later. Just one of those things :(

I'm going to have to do mine this summer (as well as Cheries) and I plan to get behind the panel and treat that as well. Probably using some rust inhibitor and waxoyl.

Then treat the outside, again with a rust inhibitor, and then repaint on top.
Just take your time getting all the rust you can treated and don't be shy with the inhibitor. Then paint (fill if necessary), blend with some 1200 grit paper, paint again, then lacquer and that's all you can do really.

Ouch - it really shows up on black kats unfortunatley (mine looks pretty much the same). Hopefully I'm going to get some quotes when I get paid, and maybe get it sorted for FITP.

For the rusty rear arches, does it mean a complete panel respray? just that i asked our local man in a van repairer about getting my arches done and he thinks it does. Has anyone got any thoughts?

It's very hard to actually get rid of the rust unless you cut it out. It stays at the back of the panel and just comes through again once you've done it. Very annoying.

Depends how long you intend to keep your car I guess.

ive just posted a thread on how to stop this!! sounds like you are too late though:( maybe if you follow my guide and just rub that down and re spray it will hold it off for alot longer as no oxygen will be getting to the rust from anywhere!!

Going to have a good go at doing it next weekend with my dad. Really gutted about this i am, i take care of my baby!

Latest posts

Back