How to DIY adjust your headlights??

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e3silversurfer

Have anyone done it?? is it easily done?? how can I do it??? I think mine seems strange as the beam is a little well ..."off"?? thanks for all the help in advance

My beam is higher towards the 'left'.

That's because the bulbs throw out light at an angle, so if you drive up to a wall at night your light shines thus:

\ \

Very strange but another wonderful quirck of the Puma.

unless your headlights have been adjusted for "continental" driving and not adjusted properly?

There are 2 adjusters on each head light. One for VERTICAL and one for HORIZONTAL.

Drive up to a wall on flat ground no more than 3m away or drive up to a back of a normal sized car.

Adjust the headlights so they have equal beam's and make sure the beams strongest light is no higher than the number plate.

that is a rough DiY guide.

A garage will charge you a few quid as the job only takes 5 mins. Simple alternative :D

Also remember that the Puma HeadLights have a crappy bit of metal across the beam for some reason which is easily removed. i have done this and the beam spread is alot better :D

Spent an hour and a half adjusting my headlights to be usable again. They had been adjusted for the MOT but upon driving I could see neither ahead, to the right or to the left... :shock: With them like this I can quite understand those who say the Puma lights are rubbish.

Thanks to my Lucifer cap (the cap with built in LEDs) and correct tool I went out on many test runs around twisty unlit lanes and a very long straight to get it all working properly.

It turned out that the headlights were boss eyed and pointing at the ground...particularly unnerving was the fact I could not see the kerbs on left hand bends or the white centre lines on rifght hand ones, i.e. I couldnt actually see where I was going :?

Now I can see ahead because I raised the lights quite a bit to give a good throw of light, retaining the metal piece in then light to give a sharp beam cutoff (prevent dazzling oncoming drivers) and pointed each beam almost straight ahead to give a nice wide beam so left and right hand bends are nicely lit. On the long straight (deserted I might add) I actually drove with the lights pointing fully down (using the height adjuster) then drove with the nearside and offside wheels in turn on the road centreline to ensure the beam wasn't straying too far to the right (which would blind oncoming drivers).

After it was all done, I drove around for ages and not one car flashed me which seems to indicate I'm not dazzling anyone. Should have shot a before and after video of the difference, it's amazing (and all on standard bulbs- nothing fancy or expensive here). It may fail an MOT but they can always be readjusted and it's easier than winching the car out of a ditch (or driving at 10mph everywhere at night).

Latest posts

Back