Weigh reduction bhp/ton

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grayfox

Was playing with some figures at lunch just for fun to see how effectively weigh reduction would be but on a very modest scale on a 1.7 puma, so completely useable with backseats, all sound proofing,and A/C.

Here's what I came out with and I'm sure everyone can't deny (although obviously this won't actually increase the bhp of the car) the difference would definitely be apparent!

Standard front seats (without subframes) 40 = Bucket Seats=28 – saving 12kg
Lighter Subframes (non electric) 2kg
Lighter wheels (speedlines for example) 9-spokes+tyre=15kg (speedline+tyre=13.4) saving 6.4kg
Interior trim (various) 13kg
Front door cards 7kg
Wheelarch liners 4kg
Parcel shelf & mats 4kg
Rear quarter trims 4kg
Carpet 3kg
Boot lining 2.5kg
Top weights front shocks 2kg

= 62kg (standard 1050kg-62kg) = 988kg
(On Trackdays if the Spare Wheel and Jack are removed = 21kg) = 83kg

Weight = 967kg

Standard car (1050kg) + me inside (+65kg) = 112bhp/ton
My mods (est 130bhp) + me inside (after weight reduction as above) = 134bhp/ton

Difference of 22bhp/ton which I think is pretty significant with very subtle weight reduction! That's 1/5 of the standard bhp per ton of a 1.7 puma with someone of my weight inside!

i think the next step is to buy items like this

http://www.nur-motorsport.co.uk/Carbon%20Ford%20Puma.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.lwsdesign.co.uk/product.php?product_id=166" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but the price is not the same

Kizza said:
what about rear seats, parcel shelf, rear plastics, sound proofing ect ect. I have nothing left in my car at all and im still looking at ways of making it lighter.

Cheers Kieran (FiberBuild)

Because as per my original post..

grayfox said:
Was playing with some figures at lunch just for fun to see how effectively weigh reduction would be but on a very modest scale on a 1.7 puma, so completely useable with backseats, all sound proofing,and A/C.

Weight reduction is often overlooked by a lot of people. What you have done is gained 22bhp per tonne, without really compramising on comfort. less weight makes every mod you do have more impact.

You can also loose the spare wheel and spare wheel tray.

On a bigger scale, my car weighs 1140kg so is 341bhp per tonne. If we put my set up in your 988kg car, that would give you 394 bhp per tonne!! thats an extra 53 bhp per tonne!! 53bhp for nothing at all!

strip it all out = effectively free power

you also have to take into account you no longer have to brake and turn that extra weight, it all adds up

PumaNoob said:
Weight reduction is often overlooked by a lot of people. What you have done is gained 22bhp per tonne, without really compramising on comfort. less weight makes every mod you do have more impact.

You can also loose the spare wheel and spare wheel tray.

On a bigger scale, my car weighs 1140kg so is 341bhp per tonne. If we put my set up in your 988kg car, that would give you 394 bhp per tonne!! thats an extra 53 bhp per tonne!! 53bhp for nothing at all!
Ahh but how many of those extra horses could you get onto the road :?:

Well, thats why i removed the light bonnet and fitted the steel one back on. I found my 1/4 mile times actually increased half a second with the light bonnet and an extra 18bhp!! Just couldnt put the power down.

But if i could take all the weight off the rear of the car, then putting the power down wouldnt have changed in theory. But VERY true argument Mr Dave, there comes a point where adding more weight will actually help over reducing.

It was silly of me to even contemplate taking weight off the driven wheels of a car that was already struggling to put the power down! I just like the look of carbon bonnets so made one and put it on, id rather look good and loose :lol:

performance ford have worked out that a 10kg weight less equals (on average) 3bhp

obviously not perfect but a good guide to work to

yep....!

its also really funny seeing fat people in track day cars that are stripped out!!!! saving 1kg costs between £50-100, a diet is free!!!

ie a £600 carbon bonnet saves you 10kg equals £60/kg saved
ali bells on front discs are £100 and save 1kg each...

Latest posts

Back