adjusting door height

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scofield.1

I am attacking the rust and making a few changes to colours including the possibility of a pinstripe but the door is not level so a stripe will look terrible!! can I adjust the height of the door by 3mm??

Gary

Probably depends why the door is not in line.

If the hinge pin is worn a replacement should fix it, if the door has constantly been leaned/pulled on then you may have to fit shims to the bottom hinge to cure.

See if you can work out why it has dropped first.

Just looked at my doors....shims not going to work!!

3mm is not a lot over a long door so you might just be able to force it back into line......trolley jack under the rear end of the door (with a protective block) jack it carefully and slowly up till just above where you want it then release it.

Take it slow and should be possible

hey I am now impressed with myself as I had already thought of that option lol

my other thought was a block of wood and very heavy hammer and a good smack on the top hinge, a little worried about breaking it though.

Aye, be wary of belting anything thats welded to the shell :grin:

I wouldn't be to impressed with yourself as I aint that clever really, just old and used to belts and braces style car repairs :grin:

Ressurecting an old thread: has anyone tried actually replacing the hinges on bodywork? They are welded alright, but how about cutting them off and then drilling and tapping some holes for the bolts? That would make the door adjustable in long run...? The area that the hinges are welded to has to already be reinforced for the load. What is behind it? Is that accesable for an additonal reinforcement plate to spread the load a bit?

That is indeed a very old thread! regarding drilling/tapping, if you could access from inside the wheel arch (and I have not looked so no idea) would you need to tap anything? could you not simply bolt the hinge and the new backing plate together? effectively sandwiching the already strengthened area between
Just a thought

Latest posts

Back