Would You Buy It or Not?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oli8925

Went to see a V reg 1.7 earlier for something to turn into a track car. I've got a price in my mind, but I'm unsure as to how sound it is mechanically, so am looking for some advice.

Body work is great, better than our thunder in fact. The drivers arch is all that needs doing, passenger side doesn't even have a bubble. Sills are straight and solid, doesn't leak etc etc. A few scrapes ad chips but nothing some hard work wouldn't sort.

It comes with a heap of paperwork, cambelt done 3 years ago which would tie in with the mileage etc etc, but I think the last couple of owners haven't really taken care of it, although it has been serviced when required.

It had been standing for a month or two, and wouldn't start without a lot of turning over however when it did fire it sounded smooth enough. I took it for a little drive but didn't really have the chance to change out of second, and noticed when sticking my foot down it would have a little delay and then kangaroo (but smoothly, not the 'sharp' feeling you get from misfires). The other thing I noticed was a bit of a graunching/whining noise from the power steering at any position. Fluid looked clean and was topped up, but guess the pump may have been going.

Oil was quite clean and was at the correct level. It all seemed a bit sticky from being stood but otherwise good and it did rev up to 6k but with said kangarooing, Id say about 3 times throughout the rev range. When I pulled up again I opened the bonnet, no funny smell or smoke, engine was quiet and wasn't tapping.

So given this little information, what could the kangarooing be and might it be worth turning into a track car without having to do much more to the engine than a service?

The kangarooing may be because its been stood for a while and got a bit of damp in some of the electrical parts like the TPS or MAF.
I've also had kangerooish symptoms caused by oil round the spark plugs thanks to a leaking rocker cover gasket. That may not have been changed even though its been regularly 'serviced'.

If you're interested in it, couldn't you go look at it again and take it for a proper run?

Might be able to get down there and see it tomorrow but unlikely, and it's on an auction that ends tomorrow night. Since I viewed it this afternoon the price has more than doubled and is now just under what I was going to go to, will just have to see how it goes. I don't mind taking a bit of the punt if it's the right price, especially considering the condition of the bodywork on this one. This said I'm in no hurry at all.

Puma Babe, will have to see how much a Cat C affects my insurance quotes but could be interested. Where are you and how much are you looking for? To be honest I want to keep this cheap and fun.

assuming it passes the VIC test (I cant see why not it just needed a rear bumper, new exhaust, straightened the heat shield and wheel carrier) I'd like to get £500 for it. It has FSH and the bodywork is pretty damn good. it was on the PP stand at FITP and I'm sure the people on here would confirm that its a nice car. Rear arches were repaired at my local Ford body shop approx. 6 weeks prior to being written off. Odd small surface scratch / stone chip

79000 miles
Cambelt 2007 & 2012
water pump 2013
full service history
all MOT certificates but 1, MOT to March 2014

oli8925 said:
Might be able to get down there and see it tomorrow but unlikely, and it's on an auction that ends tomorrow night. Since I viewed it this afternoon the price has more than doubled and is now just under what I was going to go to, will just have to see how it goes. I don't mind taking a bit of the punt if it's the right price, especially considering the condition of the bodywork on this one. This said I'm in no hurry at all.

Puma Babe, will have to see how much a Cat C affects my insurance quotes but could be interested. Where are you and how much are you looking for? To be honest I want to keep this cheap and fun.
Hi,
If you need any assistance with insurance please feel free to drop me a line. Our schemes have no issues with vehicles that are a Cat C write off.
Regards,
Dan.

Hi Dan, that's great. As it happens you gave me a pretty good price anyway so if the vehicle was a Cat C, would the quote have come out the same (same vehicle)?

Puma Babe I'd be very interested in that. I'm in no rush to get one as to be honest it's not the best time for me, but when you come to sell it can you send me a PM?

Incidentally the car that I started the thread about went for a bit more than I was prepared to go to. Probably still a good price considering the state of the body, but I decided to hold out for something better/a proper bargain.

Hi,

The only real difference with us is that some insurers will require a copy of the MOT, VIC check certificate, or an engineers report.

This is just standard procedure to make sure the vehicle is repaired to a satisfactory standard.

The pricing shouldn't be affected.

Thanks

Dan.

Out of interest, what is thought of 'high' mileages on the 1.7? Obviously it depends mostly on how well it has been looked after, but as a track car it will take a beating so needs to be decent to start with.

If a 1.7 has been well looked after and pulls strongly, but has 130k on it, is there anything that is likely coming to the end if it's life? Would you automatically start to avoid it in my position?

Latest posts

Back