im confused

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumalee100

I did post something up about this a few weeks back but still troubling me
I have had my Puma a month or so now and love it!
But I cant believe the thrashing of the engine at 60 and above???? I have not been in any other pumas so I cant compare,,,but its driving me nuts
its really working much harder then I think it should,,ithink 3500 RPM at 70 is strong??
I know its not a new car but the top speed of nearly 130 is miles away I got to 90 and was at nearly 5000 RPM??? Can anyone tell me is this normal???
I have serviced it,,, new oil,filter,air filter,V power petrol,redex
it feels like when you stay in 4th and you have a 5th gear,,,its crying for a 6th gear

PLEASE HELP???
Oh and the comments before on loving the sound,i do to but what im saying is sitting at 70 and sounds like it doesn't have a lot left is not fun!

Nothing's going to change it, it's designed to be a nippy fun little coupe and I guess they used shorter gear ratios to add to that effect. Mine is the same, which is why it's used for short journeys/fun cross country journeys and I have a big tank for cruising in comfort on motorways.

A service and different petrol isn't going to change the mechanical make up of the car. You might be able to get a different gear set or final drive from Fiestas and other cars.

so the RPMS I have stated are yours similar
How the hell does its get to its top speed of 126? it must sound like its going to explode
I had a Tigra 1.4 and it was less stressed at 70 then the puma??

It's just how it's geared.

As above, you'd have to change the gearset in order to change it. The rpm at a given speed is fixed in each gear.

Don't forget that engine will rev to around 7000rpm so it will get to its top speed no problem.

In a manual set up like this, it doesn't make a difference whether the engine has 100hp or 500hp. It's speeds are limited to the gearset or how high the engine can rev. Raise the rev limit and the car will have a higher top speed.

Do u have a 1.7 because 5000rpm in 5th gear at 70mph is not right, mine doesnt hit 4000rpm at 80mph in 5th. In 4th I can get just over 100mph

exactly!!!
I know about gearing etc and have had many cars
this just doesn't sit right with me,,,if you sat me in my car before I bought it blindfolded and asked me just by the sound of the engine what speed am I doing ,I would say atleast 20-30 mph more , just by the sound
it just feels like im in 4th gear and need to change,,,
100 in 4th no way,,,, in my car lucky to get 100 in 5th!!!! something is just missing in this equation
I thought this was going to be a nippy car and although I love it!!! I wouldn't say nippy,,,feels like a 1.2/1.4 litre engine at best
I would love to go in someone elses just to put my mind at rest

When was the cambelt changed and by whom?
Might be mis-timed.

Cambelt was done about 6 months ago by a reliable technician
who I work with,,
don't want to sound a twat but I work for Bugatti/Pagani/Lamborghini

whats everyones RPM at 70 roughly?

Speedoaccuracy.jpg

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=209138#p209138" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although that's on 17" alloys so a few % out..

Pumalee100 said:
Cambelt was done about 6 months ago by a reliable technician
who I work with,,
don't want to sound a twat but I work for Bugatti/Pagani/Lamborghini

whats everyones RPM at 70 roughly?

As good as the mechanic is he may not have lots of experience with this engine

wow cant get clearer then that
so 3500 RPM is a touch high
I expect any average car to be just under or around the 3000 mark

Yeah I totally agree with that....
Anyone in North London want to take me for a spin? haaaa
I really want to compare Pumas with someone

Sounds perfectly fine to me. About 20mph per 1000 rpm is bang on for the 1.7, and yes, it does do over 130mph on the clock which my satnav said was 127mph when I did it in Germany a few years ago....and yes, it was screaming it's nuts off too :lol:

Timing wouldn't make any difference to your indicated vehicle speed for any given engine speed.

The box is fairly short, but not ridiculously so. Indeed the Racing Puma is even shorter. The upside of which being that acceleration is somewhat improved.

Dal's picture gives you an idea of where the speedo/rev counter should be at that speed. (Assuming that is also the same engine/box config?)

Tom Tom speedo will be affected by the different wheels but the dash isn't as its measured in the box. On standard wheels you'd expect a slightly larger discrepancy between speedo and GPS.

Pumalee100 said:
I had a Tigra 1.4 and it was less stressed at 70 then the puma??

That's either an F13CR or F15CR depending on the year, either way, fifth is 0.89, with a 3.74 FD

Puma fifth is 0.88 with a 3.82 FD.

Puma box being the shorter of the two there. Although the Tigra was probably on a 14" rim?

Its also not stressed just because it is revving higher. It is obviously not desirable to over-rev the engine but its also not stressful for it to run at 4k rpm for an extended period, well within design tolerances. If a bit loud.

Don't understand your problem,as already stated they are geared at about 20 mph /1000 rpm in 5th gear.They produce Max torque at 4500rpm so will sit at 90mph all day long with no sweat.If an engine revs feely to 7000 rpm then 4 or5 k rpm is nothing.If you find it noisy then wear earplugs.Unless of course its been timed up wrong and its not revving correctly.

Nothing wrong with the gearing, its for acceleration which from 70mph is very good for a car of it's weight and bhp, my ST220 has 6 gears and rev's at 2800rpm doing 70mph, it's for cruising and refinement not acceleration though. Most small, 4-pot cars of its era rev around the same sort of rpm at 70mph so I cannot see the problem myself.

Well thanks for all the help guys
Seems like mine is normal after all
and my other question was answered to
my sat nav over 60 mph says im doing around 5mph less then the speedo too

one other question
if I take the resonator out of the air box and did nothing else,what effect would this have
I have seen the FRP mod which I might try

Pumalee100 said:
Well thanks for all the help guys
Seems like mine is normal after all
and my other question was answered to
my sat nav over 60 mph says im doing around 5mph less then the speedo too

one other question
if I take the resonator out of the air box and did nothing else,what effect would this have
I have seen the FRP mod which I might try

Taking the resonator out will change the noise. The FRP mod is the best thing you can do if you want a cheap 'modification' that actually works, it's far more worthwhile than splashing out on a panel filter and made a noticeable difference to mine especially in warmer weather where it suffered with bad heat soak.

Latest posts

Back