A different Engine

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raggamuffin

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any projects for a 2.5 ST powered Puma or a 2.0 Zetec turbo Puma? Am I right in thinking the Zetec 2litre would use same engine mounts? I'm sure I read about ST170 projects and the only real issue was mounting the gearbox? A mechanic I know who lives over the road from me says he'd be willing to do an engine swap provided we can find enough information from previous projects and possible problems we could run into?

Ideally like to source the engine and gearbox for £1500 or under. I know the 2.5 engine and gearbox would probably be a grand more than my current budget. If people would let me know any info or projects for such an endeavour i'd be interested in knowing?

Ed

There's at least two Focus RS (mk1) engined Pumas on this site so the Zetec e family of engines (blacktop,silvertop,ST170 and FRS) can be made to fit a Puma. I could be wrong but the 2.5 is a five cylinder engine and may be a little too long to be squeezed into a Puma.
Barry

2.5t but longitudinally with RWD would be fun.

There's a few RWD with YB engines so should be do-able.

You'd never fit a 2.5 between the suspension turrets, someone tried it on a Mk1 Focus and it wouldn't fit. RWD would be interesting as Dal says but you'd have a real headache trying to find a RWD gearbox to fit the 2.5 engine

oilburner said:
.. you'd have a real headache trying to find a RWD gearbox to fit the 2.5 engine

Have a look at whatever the kit car / Westfield / caterham set are doing for ideas. There are off the shelf kits for RWD zetec / duratec installations. Somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind I recall ford used a 2.3 normally aspirated petrol duratec with a RWD box on the transit...maybe... That would do nicely :)

Nice idea as the Transit used a 2.3 RWD setup, but the 2.5 is a Volvo engine and I can't think of any RWD applications for it

XC90 used a 4wd system with the 2.5t but that's still transverse.. :(

You could use a MK1 Mondeo 4x4 drive train but using a 2.5 V6 is a no-no. I owned a ST24 Mondeo and that engine is too big for a Puma. Working on that size engine is like trying to use chunky fingers on a tiny smartphone. Tight and fiddly!

oilburner said:
Nice idea as the Transit used a 2.3 RWD setup, but the 2.5 is a Volvo engine and I can't think of any RWD applications for it

I actually meant to use the 2.3 duratec with the MT75 box as per the transit. The 2.3 Duratec is to all intents and purposes the same size as the 1.8 Duratec as found in the focus and the like. All aluminium too, so it's only 110kgs. The 2.3 Duratec has been turbo'd successfully but even Normally aspirated tuning can bring an easy 200+ bhp.

The Transit doesn't use a 2.3 Duratec, it uses a 2.3 version of the old I4 engine as found in the Scorpio and Galaxy. Cast iron block and quite a heavy one at that. The only RWD application of the 2.3 Duratec is in the Ford Ranger pick up

oilburner said:
The Transit doesn't use a 2.3 Duratec, it uses a 2.3 version of the old I4 engine as found in the Scorpio and Galaxy. Cast iron block and quite a heavy one at that. The only RWD application of the 2.3 Duratec is in the Ford Ranger pick up

Ford Believe otherwise: click me and see

Pages 5,7 and 17. The V348 Transit (2006-2013) got the Ranger 2.3 Duratec alloy engine, although in a relatively lazy 146ps version.

Westfield use Mitchell and Cotts gearbox with 2 and 2.3 Duratecs. It's a modified MT75 with a detachable bell housing to suit the non (Ford) standard bell housing bolts of the Duratec. I think Caterham use their own (Quaife) modified 5 and 6 speed type 9 boxes or a Quaife 6 spd sequential.
Barry

You'd never get one on a budget of £1500 though I bet. Your best bet would be to look at Errolls (PumaNoob) project Duratec turbo thread

Hi I'm looking at trying to fit a ford galaxy 19 150bhp in my puma just wondered if any one would have any info for me thanks Andy

Latest posts

Back