Splitters + Spoilers

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtfulHussy

Can anyone comment on the genuine merits of fitting both a splitter and spoiler (thinking FRP type + F2) in terms of creating some downforce? When I'm haring through the twisties in puma I become very aware of how light it is and I do not like!

I fitted a gurney flap on the rear, it adds a calculated 6,7% increase in downforce (at 55m/s) therefor reducing the difference in lift between front/rear axle and giving a more stable car. I got a calculated increase in drag of 1,3% however I will need to re-calculate that. My colleague and I got different values for it.
A splitter will be beneficial however not the biggest gain to be made when it comes to cornering speed.

When it purely comes down to your driving feel I'd advise fitting better shocks with a higher bump out setting. There are much bigger gains to be made for a relatively lower price.

Can you suggest a shock set up? I've got AVO GTZ coilovers on it at the moment. Damping on the front is set about midway, the rear is a little stiffer to be fair as it was bottoming out on bumpy roads.

I'm sure I've read your gurney post somewhere, I will try to find it and have another look.

ArtfulHussy said:
Can you suggest a shock set up? I've got AVO GTZ coilovers on it at the moment. Damping on the front is set about midway, the rear is a little stiffer to be fair as it was bottoming out on bumpy roads.

I'm sure I've read your gurney post somewhere, I will try to find it and have another look.

I also run on AVO GTZ's actually. In what kind of situations do you feel lift in the car? I made some calculations for track setups in NL actually.

On the street I run 2-clicks from softest rear, front 270 degrees from softest.
On the autoslalom track (dry and grippy) I set it hardest rear, front 90 degrees from hardest.

My racing setting creates quite a lot of oversteer; this can be useful offcourse entering the corners. Since your setup sounds similar, I'd set the front a bit harder for more balance in the suspension. Should give a less twitchy feeling when braking and entering corners.

Around the apex of corners, the inside wheel tends to lift and if I don't check it the car it'll whip round and end up facing the other way. Which I'm sure can also be attributed to bad driving but I'd like to see if there are things I can do to make her less twitchy.

I will try adjusting my suspension at the weekend. Suspension setup is something that I have no experience with whatsoever, which is why I had set everything kinda midway as a starting point. What size alloys do you have? Mine is on 17x7's. I've got the car as low as it'll go on them without them crashing up into the arch everytime I hit a bump.

I wonder if strut braces would help at all? Seems like the body can be a bit twisty to me. Am I imagining that?

Balance is everything when it comes to the right setup. I played around a lot before I found decent settings for mine. Luckily nearby is an abandoned airfield for some proper testing. I'm running on the stock 'propellor' wheels.
A front strutbar might help however I'd first try and find the best setting by adjusting your shocks. It's cheaper offcourse ;)
I run on a front lower and rear strutbar. Front upper is not on my list as it'll reduce oversteer even more. I need it to be twitchy in the autoslalom!

Back