Guy reversed into me!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve18

I was pulling out of a parking space in a car park and a guy reversed into my driver's side door. He then moved forwards and reversed into me again! Insurance claim started but may be close to a write off (£800-£900 est). Crazy for a wing mirror and dent fix!

Does anyone think the door can be pulled out without the need for a new door skin and blended respray (which is what they intend to do if the insurance Co. give the go ahead? Any info appreciated.

cardamage2sm.jpg

cardamage1sm.jpg

Source a second hand door and replace the lot - probably the cheapest option. If you're really lucky, you may just find one in that colour although that is probably one of the rarest shades. First port of call would probably be IanG on this forum.

I agree, new door would be the cheapest and definitely easiest option, even if it does need a respray.

You could pull that dent out but it would be a chuffing big spead of filler on her.

Thanks for the replies, new door seems to be the best option but don't know how that would work with the insurers (authorised garage etc). Will look into it if it's considered a write off.

I've wrangled with them before. If you can get them to agree to second hand parts and source them yourself, often it doesn't come to being a write off.

Having said that, my experience was 12 years ago.

Thanks AB, I may be trying that even if the repairs are authorised as I don't want a 'close match' respray.

T cut will sort that out :lol:

Seriously though - If its wrote off make sure you buy it back from them as it'll be cheap and you know it only needs a replacement door... Might actually work in your favour - You get the cash from the claim, buy back the car at a reduced rate, buy and fit the 2nd hand door and you'll still be quids in...

Will definitely buy back/get cash offer and do the repairs myself if it comes to that. Waiting for the insurers to get back and will make a decision then.

Doesn't buying the car back from the insurance company make it a category write off and therefore tricky to insure?

Repair it yourself.

I had an accident a few years ago in my first Puma which resulted in getting my drivers door stoved in.
I told the insurance company that I wasn't interested in them repairing it. I just replaced the door myself which at the time cost me £30.

The difficult thing for you is the colour of the car.
You can buy paint mixed to any colour, so I would possibly look at costing a door and some paint to spray it yourself.
Ok, the finish may not be as good as 'factory' but if you ever get your arches done, I shouldn't think it would be much more for them to run a couple of coats of paint over the door when they spray the arches back.

On a slightly different note... What's all this crap about buying the car back from the insurance company?
Since when do they own our cars?

however they should offer you the option keep the car minus what they have added into the offer as their 'salvage' value. I was offered £1150 if they kept the car or £1092.50 + the car (effectively they were offering to give me £57.50 for the car).

Try and get insurance to agree to pay out for you to arrange repairs, as you have been able to source repairs for (make up a figure), as no structural (or are there damaged bars in door?, so should then avoid cat C or D

Still haven't heard back from the insurers but think I'll be trying the Lord B route, pay for me to arrange repairs (avoiding cat C/D).
Thanks for the replies, all useful info.

From what I've experienced just avoid like the plague anything that renders the car Cat C/D. Pumas can be ridiculously cheap to repair but insurers seem to want as many of them scrapped as possible!

Insurers dont want them scrapped, its just thier rediculous policies. Most demand new parts which for such an old car is usually lunacy and writes it off straight away.

Plus body shops these days pretty much double the quote because insurers are scum when it comes to paying up. They may agree to pay out £1k authorised repair, the garage does the work, invoices the insurers, then they either take 6 months to cough up or change thier mind and refuse to pay out more than say £800.

So the new parts cost and overinflated repair costs write off so many cars.

I have filled worse, also popping out a dent on a puma door, they are quite strong by design and normally retain that strength when knocked out..

cardamage2sm.jpg

Update - looks like it hasn't been written off and will be going in for repairs for the all new and improved price £1,270!
No Cat C and hope the paint is a good match.

steve18 said:
Update - looks like it hasn't been written off and will be going in for repairs for the all new and improved price £1,270!
No Cat C and hope the paint is a good match.

Bonkers price for a new door and wing mirror, I'd take the money and run to breaker and local paint shop, and spend whats left on a few days away at nurburgring

If insurer is doing repairs remember like for like car hire, and licenses of anyone and everyone who may want to 'pilot' the loan car, as you can't lend out to anyone not approved by car owner, my cars get driven by all sorts, wonder what would happen if you had a booked a day off work for a trackday booked whilst car was off for repairs?

Latest posts

Back