The lesser spotted Puma Sunroof

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rollcage

Evening everyone -

Does anybody have any definitive info on Pumas and sunroofs?

Where they available as a factory fit option, or dealer fit only?

Only Puma I have ever seen with a sunroof was a dealer fit one, so I'd be interested to know if it was a factory option.

I've read the dealer fit one is actually a KA sunroof, and is tilt/removeable.

Any links/ info gratefully received,

Cheers

IIRC, "hotrodspike" on this website had a sunroof on his car. He's sold it now, but may still be "lingering". Try a PM and see if he responds.
This is his "For Sale" add:
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=24845" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers for that. Just three cars fitted with sunroofs, possibly? Doesn't sound many for a dealer option....

Just found this in one of the brochures I've got...

I spotted this sunroof in a Puma in a breakers yard a while back.. and it looked terrible.
It didn't fit with the curve of the roof and the frame didn't sit flush in the roof.

In my opinion, it spoiled the look of it :-(

I dont think it was widely adopted, probably because the car wasn't designed for it.

I think I remember reading that it was fitted by the dealer and not by the factory, if thats true I can see why a lot of people didn't bother with it.

Just bought this:

2q9whfs.jpg

Had no idea the sunroof was rare.

It's a tilt and is removable. The owners handbook gives details on how to open and take it out so I assume it was a standard thing on these. To be fair I didn't know much about Puma's nor had I given one a second look until I bought one.

I can take pics of the book if anyone wants to see.

Quite cool to know I have something just a little different. Would swap it for a PR :p

Looks quite surreal as I've never seen one before more like a photoshop job!
I know what people are saying about a flat sunroof and and curve roof thing doesn't look right but I like different.

Looks like the same sunroof as my mk4 Fiesta.

Cheers

Ally

Actually I tell a lie, there's bugger all in the manual about it...but I read something somewhere...

I can take some pics of the car with the sunroof open and what it looks like and how it works if you guys are interested in knowing that kind of stuff.

It's actually quite a nice edition to have this time of year as it's lets a lot of the heat out without having the windows down or the AC drinking fuel and looks quite smart when it's up.

Best of all it doesn't leak!! Which considering some of the sunroofs I've had in MKII XR2's is a bloody miracle.

I use mine on my mk4 all the time. Like now it's open at the tilt and when it's pissing of rain it doesn't let any water in.

I miss it when going back to the Puma.

Cheers

Ally

Bentleya said:
A couple of my sunroof!

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Mine looks totally different to that! My catch is the rectangular lever style and I'm fairly certain it's flush on the inside...as in there's no additional roof lining around it. Looks just like a hole in the roof but can't remember from memory. Will check it out tomorrow.

I had a Renault 19 1.4 a few years ago and it was all tilt/remove sunroof, manual locks and windows and so on.

I bought a 1.8 RT for spares and literally swapped all four doors over and the interior and rewired the whole thing to add the e/w, C/L and so on. It also had an electric sunroof.

I stripped the lining back to find that the 1.8 had brackets and mounting points in the actual roof skin, with reinforced bars and so on. The 1.4, by the time I took it out, just had a rough hole that had been cut by hand (perhaps tin snips or a jigsaw).

I'm 99% sure it was dealer fit, and it looks exactly like the one Ford are on about in the brochure, so I imagine any would have been done in the same way - snip snip snip. Quite sure they used to be reasonable universal in the industry.

Probably won't find out unless someone breaks one or removes theirs for the sake of it.

Latest posts

Back