Regular flat battery

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve18

Every couple of weeks the car fails to start due to a flat battery (It is only about 12 months old and water levels have been checked and are ok). The car only gets used occasionally for short journeys which probably doesn't help. Is there anything that could be draining the battery whilst parked? Thanks for any ideas.

Thanks for the reply Oil. Don't have any diagnostic tools, recommend something to test alternator? Alternatively, a good source for a new/recon one. Cheers.

My Puma did this once, I thought it was just because it was sat so long but on investigation I had an LED courtesy light in mine and even when the doors were shut and it went out I noticed that it was drawing power as it was very, very dim. I moved the switch to off to check my eyes weren't deceiving me and it went off properly.

Just a thought in case you have one too ;o)

My car is off the road for long periods too - drove it twice this year, one was for a meeting that I didn't want to attend and the other was to take it for it's MOT :lol:
So, I have mine plugged into a charger permanently that maintains the battery so it's perfect everytime I do decide to use the car.

you can test the power of the battery by pressing in the milage trip button while starting the car and press the trip button onto what you want. it will check your gauges and everything one press at a time no need for a vault meter hope this helps, you will find a lot of stuff on the trip display like this. my alternator come up 14v which is about right

jason

:thumbs: :pose: :pose2:

Found on another forum a few years ago, all the info you need.

1) With the ignition switched off press and hold the trip computer reset button.

2) Switch the ignition on.

3) Release the reset button

4) The above will be displayed with each press of the button.

5) To exit this mode switch the key off. When you switch it back on again the dash will return to normal.

Functions

1 Gage Test
2 Dial Test
3 Bulb Test
4 Diagnostic Check
5 Diagnostic Check
6 Clock Type (shows ?date 44? if UK)
7 Diagnostic Check
8 Speed MPH
9 Speed KPH
10 Revs
11 Fuel
12 Engine Type
13 Temp of Engine
14 Battery Voltage
15 Diagnostic Check
16 LCD Display

Diagnostic Check (18-30)

The DTC codes are only for the dash cluster so wont replace the need for a diagnostic machine.

Haven't been on here in a while, thanks for the milage trip button info demonskull and lusid, appreciate it. Useful for the next time the new battery fails.

Back