Bigger engine - Notifying the DVLA.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSP

If I put a bigger engine in my Puma, (say from a 1.7L to a 2.0L), I assume that I need to inform the DVLA as it pushes into a higher car tax band?

My question is, how do I go about doing this and what effect does it have on the MOT? Does it need to have a new MOT once the new engine's in?

Given the number of people who've made this sort of modification I assume that there's a lot of first hand experience on here that I could tap into?

(Obviously it goes without saying that I will inform my insurers of the change as well)!!!

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Things may have changed but many years ago I built a twin engined Mini. All I did was send the change of engine number which was the number of the front engine with a / and then the number of the rear engine and the fact that the capacity went from 850cc to 2550cc. I was sent a registration document back with those detail on.

You could try contacting DVLA.

I am sure someone here will have details of a more up to date procedure.

Regards,
Richard.

surley if your car is pre 2001 it will already be in the higher of the two tax brackets for a vehicle of that age so no change in tax bracket or emissions to worry about?

It's a modified policy, so they know of all the mods done and will cover further mods as they're done.

The premium will increase of course, but the insurance side is taken care of.

Latest posts

Back