frp vs standard puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demonskull13

dont know if anyone would agree with me on this but i actually prefer the standard puma body than the frp. There are 2 things i prefer on the standard puma the line that starts just after the front door cuts along the body perfectly and joins the rear lights and looks smoother where as the frp wheel arches are bigger so loose this line and also when you look from the back the rear lights look like they have dissapeared into the body. everything else i prefer the frp for. but i think i can get my engine remapped to frp style and could put 17" wheels on of course it wont be as wide as the frp but my puma is going to have coilovers mondeo mk3 discs and alot more over time i know the frp is going to be a rare car, but would rather prefer to do my puma 1.7 up i do like the imperial blue of the frp but also mine is the ford melina blue pearl which is pretty close to the colour and mine has been mistaken for the frp by someone.Also the front lights look a bit lost.

Dont think you will get many who agree..the frp is a genuine collectors item,that always turns heads.
This would never happen in a standard puma..just laughs from blokes that think i am a puff for driving a hairdressers car.
Dont see them laughing though, when i disappear down a twisty road leaving there rep mobiles behind.

The only thing i think ford failed on the styling on the frp, is the awkward small wing that gets lost on the rear.

Hi,
I am afraid I have to agree with Demonskull13 ( weird name but everyone to their own) from some angles I think the FRP looks good and purposeful but from other angles it looks bulbous and ungainly. But, compared with the standard Puma it is indeed a step in the right direction. However, a few tweaks on the standard Puma in the looks department such as lowering and 17" wheels that extend to the limit of the arches really enhances its looks, far better than the standard Puma. A Puma in standard form looks as though it could trip over itself if it goes to fast round a tight bend, but we know that it has superb handling and nothing can be further from the truth.
I Think the interior of the FRP looks cheap and tacky and for the money it cost a full leather interior would have been better. My opinion is personal to me. I will stick to my black modified Puma and my bog standard Moondust Puma, thank you. Having said that I can see the attraction for a FRP and have on many occasions thought of owning one.

Regards,
Richard.

Hi Richard
Some fair and valid points you made there, and as you say, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
But to say the FRP interior looks cheap and tacky is a bit OTT. As you may know, the FRP was designed and produced for the purpose of homologation for the S1600 rally car.
A full leather interior, in my opinion, would not quite fit in with the 'rally theme'. There have been many comments about the FRP spec...it should have been this, it should have had that...but then it just would not have the character, and would have priced it way out of the price bracket it was intended to be in. Tickford engineers were not cheap and there were also time constraints in the year of production.
Just my opinions, but I am a bit biased :lol:
Paul

I'm with demonskull13 on this. I actually prefer the lines of the standard version - they are cleaner and flow more naturally.

I do like the bigger wheels of the FRP but the widened track and flared body kit isn't to my taste - just looks a little bloated from some angles. Still, it must be awesome to drive.

If there is one thing the standard could have benefitted from its a small and subtle spoiler - I saw one on a green puma the other day and it looked just great, almost like it could have been in the original design

I'm afraid i have to dissagree. Althoug i agree it's "bad" that the line disapairs, I realy don't care :) the rest is so awsome, it cansels it out :) atleast that is my opinion :)

The pumas still look like a modern car to this day. I do like a frp though.

I think the FRP looks just awesome on the front view... not so nice from behind.. the rear bumper looks a bit bloated somehow..

The interior on the other hand is fantastic... apart from the green illumination which is hideous! :lol:

Lowered standard puma's look horrendous! :lol:

Front and profile views are best on the FRP. It looks the absolute nuts :eek:k:

(slightly biased ex owner)

demonskull13 said:
Glenn_ said:
The pumas still look like a modern car to this day. I do like a frp though.
yes they do alot of people have said this the design was ahead of there time
:pose:

I'd say it is even better: not only it doesn't look old but is more beautiful than most recent cars

I've never seen a racing one but in most pictures -but not all- it looks even better

Back