brake discs advice

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James West Wales

Hi everyone, iv just bought a set of greenstuff pads and was looking to upgrade the discs too, iv posted on fb and only 1 person wrote bk should get more advice on here ;-)
Iv been looking at these what does everyone think http://www.burtonpower.com/f-discs-pair-8g-ford-focus-fiesta-00-07-puma-00-pbd950g.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=prodlistad&utm_campaign=gb_feed%3FWbRf%3DProdListAd&gclid=CO-xvKeq4MUCFS-WtAod9icAfg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The brakes are a big let down in my opinion on the puma.
I tried putting yellowstuff pads on my puma,but found i could still easily fade the brakes when pushing on.

Greenstuff pads are really not going to help you at all in improving braking performance.

The easiest solution to far more powerful brakes in to buy a set of fiesta ST150 callipers and disks from ebay.
Lots of members do this,as it is a direct bolt on upgrade..no modifying at all..i assume you have the multi spoke later style alloys..so they fit behind these no problems.

I got a complete set of callipers,disks and pads for £80!..

The difference is night and day.

There is a guy on ebay that only breaks st150s..he always seems to have callipers for sale.
Have a search and see what you can find in ebay..you wont be disappointed.

^^ Best bolt on jobs you can get without all that drilling nonsense with mk3 mondeo brakes for an extra 20mm on diameter ^^

I can confirm that these discs are good! But I bet you already know that cause I answered your question on FB yesterday :p
Like Andrew and Dal said, you're best bet is to go for ST150 calipers with whatever pad/disc you like!

I just had my luggage scales out..
Standard Puma 258mm disc = 5kg
Mondeo V6 2.5l 278mm disc = 6.25 kg
ST150s will be almost the same as the Mondy ones. Which are hugely powerful and more than I need trackdaying.
300mm (Mk3 mondy/ST170) will be nearer 8kg.
All dynamic unsprung weight! not good..

bigger than 280 is not necessary for stopping ability
and will actually slow you down!!

James West Wales said:
Iv had the pads for next to nothing will the fit the larger caliper?
Hi James,

Well that depends if the pads are designed for the larger caliper i.e ST150 calipers. As you can see in these pictures they differ in sizes.

The first being a 258mm brake pad:
8v3KYV1.jpg

And the second being a brake pad for a 280mm ST150:
INI4i77.jpg

I don't know which size you have (as standard) could be 238mm or 258mm. But if you're looking for a decent brake upgrade that will not break the bank I would go for ST150 setup.

I went for Mondeo/ST170 setup as I sourced a setup cheap (well, quite a few setups) and was very impressed with it compared to the standard crappy setup the car came with.

Mondy setup is much easier to source and cheaper to boot.
I wouldn't say the drilling out of the calipers was a nonsense as it's only needs reaming out by ½mm for the Mondy ones to fit but agree there's no need with ST150.
Also no need for bigger wheels with ST150 setup whereas Mondy ideally needs 16" minimum otherwise your going into dodgy territory squeezing them behind 15's.
I don't think a kg here or there makes any difference to the speed of the car. No one ever passed me in a like for like Puma and I carried crap loads of stuff in the boot permanently.

If I had a crap before going out I'd save the weight difference in setups :lol:
If I didn't have a crap I'd give it a blast of nitrous if anyone tried their luck :lol:

Carrying 1.25 kg in the boot is negligible,
Bur putting it onto the spinning bit on your power wheels affects thing very differently.
It known as unsprung weight.
Every time you want to accelerate. the first thing to happen is the engine spine up the wheels (which transfers to the tarmac)
The heavier the hub/disc/wheel. The harder it is to `spin up`
A kilo or two here makes a massive difference to accelleration.
It also affects how the springs react to bumps

So, in my opinion,
with the 300mm/258mm, the extra 3 kg per wheel would affect acceleration too much to justify being able to brake 20 ft closer to an apex.

I just thought of something else too.
Because there are different pad options. When you source your calipers. try to get the reg number of the donor vehicle.
It`ll mean buying pads etc is a lot easier..

trublustu said:
Carrying 1.25 kg in the boot is negligible,
Bur putting it onto the spinning bit on your power wheels affects thing very differently.
It known as unsprung weight.
Every time you want to accelerate. the first thing to happen is the engine spine up the wheels (which transfers to the tarmac)
The heavier the hub/disc/wheel. The harder it is to `spin up`
A kilo or two here makes a massive difference to accelleration.
It also affects how the springs react to bumps

So, in my opinion,
with the 300mm/258mm, the extra 3 kg per wheel would affect acceleration too much to justify being able to brake 20 ft closer to an apex.

Being pedant, the brake discs are not only unsprung weight -like the calipers- but rotating weight too, and not only worsen acceleration and suspension but also agility and steering.

I've tested 2 slightly different wheel sizes in a motorbike and the difference was big. Also people and test riders who has tried 2 different engine sizes in the same bike -similar engine weight- has noticed that the inertia of the bigger flywheel makes a lot of difference.

I'm keeping the worn 239mm discs, I prefer agility than braking, it is the main virtue between this car and the rest. Also breaking wastes a lot of fuel, I prefer the bike for this.

Back