No need to warm up the engine?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sylvester

Hi

Most of the time I always wait 1-2 minutes before I drive off , but at least a minute.
Until the temp. gauge doesn't reach the optimum temp, I go slowly as well.

I have read in the manual, that's recommended, the drive off the Puma asap, because 3minutes wait consumes equal to drive of 1 mile or so. I wait at least 30 seconds now, so the oil inside gets everywhere, but not sure, how good is it to the engine. What about winter time? The manual didn't mention any temp. differences.
So is it okay to drive off almost immediatelly or the parts inside the engine will take damage due this?

Ive heard that you should give it about 15-30 secs so that the oil can circle through before you drive off. Also to not push the engine too hard before its reached normal operating temp.

If you drive off instantly, aslong its not in high revs I would assume it will be fine.

KoNLaR said:
Ive heard that you should give it about 15-30 secs so that the oil can circle through before you drive off. Also to not push the engine too hard before its reached normal operating temp.

If you drive off instantly, aslong its not in high revs I would assume it will be fine.

Yes, I was thinking almost the same. Thanks.

I normally start the engine, then put my seat belt on then drive away, can't say I've ever really thought about warming it up. (other than when she'd been stood for 6 months and I left her running for ages before moving off)

Not heard anything about warming a puma. My Twingo Rs won't let you rev it until it's warm.

One should never rev an engine or put it under load until the oil is up to temp (which takes a lot longer than the water so that's not a proper indication, except for cars with turbos which heat the oil quicker) because of the expansion of the components and the lubrication capability of the oil. The vast majority of road car engines are developed with low (relatively speaking) tolerances to deal with the fact that people will drive them cold, but higher performance engines (such as the BMW M cars which started the whole rev limit lights thing) will be damaged by hard use when cold.

An extreme example is Formula 1 engines which won't physically turn when at room temp, so hot oil has to be circulated through the engine before they can be started - now that's engineering!

Back