Distance after fuel light

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artin

Hi friends, I was searching after an excisting answer - but couldn't find, so I have to ask: do anyone has experiences about the fuel lamp? After it's starts lightning, how far can I go? What distance is sure I can go - 20km, 40km,or...?
Thank you for any knowledge! :)

Hello Artin.
You could drive up to 50km (very carefully)
But. the pump will drag all the debris from the bottom of the tank.
So best to fuel up as soon as you see the light.
Stu.

50 miles is a general estimate (80 km), but ideally you don't want to rely on that. The most I've ever had the nerve to do on the light is 41 miles (66 km), and filled up with 39.73 litres (just over 2 litres left in the tank.)

I wouldn't worry about the old myth of sucking up dirt in the bottom of the fuel tank. Unless the tank is corroding, the inside of the tank should be perfectly clean. If there is any dirt or debris there, it will be suspended in the fuel whilst you're driving, which is what the the fuel filter is there for...

86 miles is the most I done with the light on if I remember correctly :lol:

And yes, the car came to a spluttering halt, but I had fuel in a can at the ready as I was seeing how far I could go on a full tank.

oh...the good old days :lol:

For hills to keep the fuel (and weight) low. I regularly run the car with the needle below the empty mark.

Although fuel roulette is a favourite past time of mine

I've had the needle well clear of the empty line, before i bottled it and filled up. There's plenty of give in the guage but putting an actual distance on it is all down to how you drive. Give it the nuts and you won't get far, nurse it and you will.

Latest posts

Back