Am I missing something here?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimfrp88

Just spotted this on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Puma-1-7-Dunlop-Cup-Race-Car-/262121124018?hash=item3d07a2f0b2:g:A4cAAOSwhcJWNQKl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I couldn't help but wonder what made it worth asking £5500 for so I had a look..

Don't get me wrong it looks a perfectly useable track car, but I'm still struggling to see why it would be worth tidy FRP money?

^^ I agree, the preparation that goes in to the CUP cars from what I've seen is quite involved, basically a strip back to shell and rebuild.

I'm sure there's some estimates somewhere on this site on the cost of building one.

But you have to step back and think, who's prepared to pay that for a puma track car when you can get a very clean FRP for that, less in some cases.

Personally I'd rather have an FRP.

As a general track car or a daily, no, it's not worth it. However, if you want to complete in the cup, it is, as all the hard work to get it to the require spec has been done.

you cant compare it to an frp as they are completely different cars.

a lot of money goes into them. Easily 2k for a cage by time its fitted, another 2k on full strip and respray, regulation dampers, seats, belts, ecu remap etc easily another 2k. plus base car cost, wheels, tyres, engine rebuild, loads of labour etc etc.

That's if you pay someone else to do the work for you.
I'm sure the majority of people would buy their own car and mod it up themselves for significantly less.
Resprays aren't always required and it doesn't cost anything to strip the interior etc.

Sorry if I appear ignorant but I honestly can't justify.
I still think an FRP would be a better all rounder. :eek:k:

yes but youre buying a built car not a pile of bits.

Unless youre a very good welder, and can spray paint, which most of us arent, then i cant see how you can build one yourself for less.

But what you do get is a race ready (pretty much) car..

So that`s a whole heap of buying and building done for you.
An entry level competitor might take a couple of years to get a car race-ready
Whereas whoever buys this needs a license and his personal gear and he`s racing in March

£5.5k does seem more than a bit rich in November, although the car will have cost double that to build..

your comparing a race car to a road car very different things they have such tight regs for race car (with good reason) things have to be 100% especially to win which always means £££ :)

don't forget this isn't a track day car its a race car :)

Like the above comments you can't compare a race car and a road car . I have just built my rally car costing around the 5k mark with similar parts but better suspension and brakes . The price is reasonable when you understand the work and time that goes into preparing a competition car .

Latest posts

Back