Fuel light comes on for a short time, after engine start up

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sylvester

Hi guys

I have searched this problem on the site, but only found answers when the light stays on.
In my case, the fuel light comes on, when system does self-check and goes off. But when I start the engine, the light comes on again for 2-3 seconds and goes off afterward. After this the light stays off until I start the engine again.
It started appr. 3 weeks ago, when I refueled the car, straight at the petrol station. I thought the cap wasn't locked properly, but it wasn't that. M.O.T is coming up in 2 weeks? Can this be a reason to fail it? Thanks

tuonokid said:
Hi Sylvester
You're ok it's nowt to do with the MOT.
Barry

Hi Barry

Thanks, that's good. Any idea, why does it happen? Fuel pump or need a new tank cap? Thanks

I'm my experience, dash lights tend to do that when the battery is on its way out.
Does it do it after long journeys as well?

To me it just sounds like a bad connection so there's some resistance which is eventually overcome by the current or it could be a worn sender unit but only if the gauge reads empty at the same time.
Barry

jimfrp88 said:
I'm my experience, dash lights tend to do that when the battery is on its way out.
Does it do it after long journeys as well?

I've checked the battery and I'm aware of the bit white powder on the top, but the peaking-glass, or what is that, is clearly green. I've put WD 40 on + and - ends and cleaned the clamps, but no change. But battery is old for sure.
I commute 7-8 miles to work. Bought the Puma just a few months ago, haven't been on longer trip since.

tuonokid said:
To me it just sounds like a bad connection so there's some resistance which is eventually overcome by the current or it could be a worn sender unit but only if the gauge reads empty at the same time.
Barry

When the system is on stand by, gauge is at half or so of the tank and I start the engine, that's when the light comes on again. If Ieave it on stand by for 1-2 minutes, the light doesn't come on at all, only when the engine starts.

When my puma was sat for a while and the battery was almost flat. There was just enough juice in it to start it.
Once it had all the warning lights lit up for a few seconds and went out again.
Personally I think because the starter was using what wad left in the battery to start the engine so the dash probably thought it had been disconnected.
Personally I'd stick the battery on charge for a few hours and see if it does it again when you start it.
Also if there's a significant increase in cranking power again it sounds like the battery needs replacing.

jimfrp88 said:
When my puma was sat for a while and the battery was almost flat. There was just enough juice in it to start it.
Once it had all the warning lights lit up for a few seconds and went out again.
Personally I think because the starter was using what wad left in the battery to start the engine so the dash probably thought it had been disconnected.
Personally I'd stick the battery on charge for a few hours and see if it does it again when you start it.
Also if there's a significant increase in cranking power again it sounds like the battery needs replacing.

I have done that, the charger didn't even come on. It said, the battery is fully charged. The engine starts without fault -touch wood- and all other systems are fine as well. When this thing appeared first, I was at the petrol station and I've been driving her nearly every day as well, so she's on the road often.

Hi Sylvester
I shouldn't worry about it if I was you as there seems to be lots of problems around DTC code 1967 involving the low fuel warning light which don't cause any real life problems in the running of the car. The other point I was making is have a look at your fuel gauge the next time the light comes on and if they don't agree ie light on and gauge showing full it's obviously not a failing sender unit.
Barry

tuonokid said:
Hi Sylvester
I shouldn't worry about it if I was you as there seems to be lots of problems around DTC code 1967 involving the low fuel warning light which don't cause any real life problems in the running of the car. The other point I was making is have a look at your fuel gauge the next time the light comes on and if they don't agree ie light on and gauge showing full it's obviously not a failing sender unit.
Barry

Hi Berry

After self-check light goes away, only comes back for 2-3 seconds, when engine starts up. Maybe something puts extra load on the voltage... However, I just keep an eye on it. I'm planning to get a new battery next year, maybe that will fix the issue. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back