Clonking rear strut after fitting new rear suspension..

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewjeffs

My garage just fitted 2 new rear stuts to my puma,as a lot of rattling,and clonking over bumps was going on.However I am still getting a rattle/clonk from the passengers rear when going over bumps.I assume the only thing it could be is the rear strut top mounts???..any other ideas..

Exhaust loose, spare wheel carrier loose, top mounts lugs not lined up with body properly, new struts magnifying noise of previously worn top mounts, loose wheel wrench or jack. Strut nuts not tightened up properly, loose roadwheel

its defo coming from the strut..would a worn top mount be very evident to the mechanic that fitted them?

Its hard to say if its reasonable to think they could tell the difference between a worn top mount that would be noisy and a worn topmount that would not be noisy, not necessarily would be my guess.

Personally I would have taken the opportunity to change them with the struts as they are pretty cheap and the Labours basically free as the struts are off already.

He might say you only asked for new struts to be fitted and that's what he did.

Those who have no been in the area will see that there's a gap between the top mount and the strut (same at front), which somehow doesn't cause a problem until you start playing. I bought a couple of 8mm thick rubber squares and cut them into rings to take up the gap - problem solved :eek:k:

TGPlayer1 said:
Those who have no been in the area will see that there's a gap between the top mount and the strut (same at front), which somehow doesn't cause a problem until you start playing. I bought a couple of 8mm thick rubber squares and cut them into rings to take up the gap - problem solved :eek:k:
This could be it..the rear suspension is defo rattling more since the new struts....my mechanic said the rear top mounts looked ok.It really does sound terrible over bumpy roads.

TGPlayer1 said:
so struts will have to come off again to add these spacers?

revival of old thread,but just foir refeference,it ended up being of all things, the front anti roll bar bushes.
The clonking was traveling through the floorpan making it sound like it was the rear!..new bushes..noise gone.

Back