Gear Knob Cover

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank

I'll sail straight past the obligatory cold knob gags and will make no mention of Mike Brewer in Scotland or anything silly like that. But, instead go right to the subject at hand - that Puma gear knob gets damn cold at this time of year.

There are covers around, but they are thin leather mainly, expensive for what they are and all seem to have a circle cut out of the top, which I imagine is in case you suddenly forgets where your gears are or something, so don't even work for this idea. Cotton or woolly things, like socks, gloves, etc, don't insulate the gear knob well enough or/and give you poor grip control on the gear knob.

However, there is a very warm, very effective and very cheap solution to this - Fur lined babies mittens!

I picked these up for £1 at a charity shop and they really work well. Just a point to note - babies from 0 - 6 months have thumbs, obviously, but can't do much with them, so they make mittens for them without any thumbs and this is the type you want. Ones for over 6 months do have thumbs and not only look silly, but you can keep catching your hand on the thumbs as you change gear.

The grip is fine when changing gear and slipped over like that means they can be easily removed later in the day when things are warmer. If you wanted an even better grip then pull down hard on the bottom of the mitten and put a cable tie immediately below the gear knob and then just cut off the tie in the Spring or whenever.

So, there you go, no more cold left hand in the mornings. :)

Incidentally, in that pic, just above the cigar lighter is a female/female 3.5mm panel jack connector. The Connect2 Aux jack plug goes into that at the back and you plug your headphone lead from the iPad, tablet, etc into the front. Just keeps things tidy, lead-wise, when you're not using the Aux input.

zinc2000 said:
[post]346595[/post]Or of course you could simply wear gloves :grin:
You can, but then you can't use the tablet touchscreen or accurately use the controls on the hand free mobile, mp3 player or even unwrap a pork pie.

The pork pie was the final straw and then it was Goodnight Vienna to Mr Glove and his chum. :)

The weather must be getting better, it was mitten off time today!

Incidentally, in case it wasn't obvious, you do cut off the ribbon on the mitten. Having the other one around still joined to it was just for the photo. No passenger has yet twigged the true origin of my 'aftermarket gear knob cover'. :p

Oh, before I forget, someone was asking me about why metal feels so cold. - the gear knob is no colder than anything else in the car, like the steering wheel, etc. but the thermal conductivity is way different. The coldness you feel is actually the heat being quickly taken out of your hand.

We replaced it with a rich brook carbon fibre look round gear knob as soon as we got the thunder.But I still haven't done anything about the red car, was going to keep an old sock in there for cold mornings.

The old gear knob cover is not such a daft idea now, in this weather, is it? Unbelievable just how cold that gear knob gets!

I was just re-reading zinc's comment above - does anyone here actually wear gloves when they're driving? Woolly ones slip all over the steering wheel, I've found, and leather ones make you look like one of the Mini drivers out of The Italian Job. :)

@Puma Babe - those are really great covers you've done there.

I do use the gloves in the morning for the first 5-6 minutes. It was -6C this morning and, although I really did feel connected to the car, it was too cold to hold (as Bobby Brown would say)...
Sometimes I put one glove on the knob and steer with bare hands :wink:

I thought about plasticoating the knob,which could then be peeled off after the winter...people have been covering there entire car with that stuff.

Latest posts

Back