The price of some parts

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greybeard

I had the engine cover off a few days back to mop out oil that had been spilled between the filler and the cover. If you remember, there are about 6 large-headed chrome hex bolts and three small ones that hold the head cover on. I noticed that one or two were worn and the Allen key was not really gripping them well, so I decided to buy a few from the Ford dealer.

So guess how much per bolt...

A: Large 80p, small 70p + VAT
B: Large £1.60p, small £1.40p + VAT
C: Large £3.20p, small £2.80p + VAT
D: Large £5.35p, small £3.75p + VAT

The answer is "D" -> How is that even possible? Do they send a mechanic out first class to Japan to get the order? Or perhaps German craftsmen produce each one lovingly by hand?

Fortunately, there was a scrappers with a Puma in it almost opposite the dealer - unfortunately the bolts were worse on that than on mine. :-(

If anyone's got 3 large and two small, and isn't a capitalist, I'm interested.

Not exactly the same, but you can use another M6 bolt, with large head or a with countersunk (colored?) plate

Some example
http://fr.aliexpress.com/store/1971930/search?origin=y&SearchText=M6+x+20
http://fr.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20160622075304&origin=y&SearchText=%22M6+x+20%22

I used the second ones along on Alexs first link on mine so they look nearly factory and won't rust.

I replaced all minje with SS bolts and washers, fine so far and not a mark on them, easily whipped out too!
hwx06g.jpg

I just throw those straight at the bin now, they're absolute rubbish. .the amount of time you waste trying to get those out does my head in..

I always just use a flange head hex screw now... never have any problems removing these with a 10mm socket ☺

Many thanks - you're all right - replacements without the stupid chrome-plated hex is the answer. I've been given a load of errands by she who shall not be named - there's a place I know sells that sort of thing cheap.

I'm not at home actually.

Is someone can verify the hole size in the cover to check if the 19mm washer fit in it ?

HTB1La2ZIFXXXXbyaXXXq6xXFXXX5.jpg

No, they won't. The larger bolts have a 16mm head, and this leaves less than 3mm outside them.

Damned !

So, I'll ordered the Mushroom head style ;)

Thanks for the reply.

I've had similar, Greybeard. I wanted the small plastic cover that fits over the fastening screw on the fascia near the air vents - over £6 from Ford for a new one. Unfortunately, even the scrap yard that I use occasionally has a 'minimum £5' cost for any part.

I stuck my broken cover back in with (in the best Blue Peter tradition) double-sided sticky tape. :grin:

Following my split hose in the middle of London traffic on Saturday, my depression lifted a bit over Sunday and, this morning when the car dealer was open, I phoned to see if they had the hose in stock. It is the one from the heater to the back of the block...

Ford Parts Dept: "Yes, we have the hose."
Me: "How much?" (Bear in mind the hose is about 18" long with a bend - ½" at one end, and 1" at the other...)
Parts Dept: "Christ!... I'm sorry... let me recheck... [pause] ... No, it's right... I don't know why, but they are £82.75 inc. VAT..."
Me: "£82.75 ... Gold are they? Encrusted with diamonds and lined with mink?"
Parts Dept: "I don't know why they're that price... I'd try and find one in a scrapyard..."

Anyway, I found a good one in a scrapyard in Hemel Hempstead (dead, metallic green 51 Puma) £5.00, took it off and fitted it - I have booked in for a knuckle-skin transplant as soon as a donor is found.

Hoses are going to be a problem... What's Ford playing at?

tuonokid said:
[post]353552[/post] I used the second ones along on Alexs first link on mine so they look nearly factory and won't rust.
Hi Barry, have you got an Ebay UK link for these? Are those bolts all the same length? As you've guessed, I think I'll do mine with M6 bolts, but it's been a while since I've had that cover off and can't remember much about them. :)

Hi Nick
No sorry as I buy them from a stall at Rufforth Autojumble but I'll have a look on Ebay to see if I can find something. You will have to cut them to length though and it's not easy with S/S, do you have an angle grinder?
Barry

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M6-6mm-A2-Stainless-Steel-Flanged-Button-Head-Bolts-Hex-Socket-Allen-Screws-/360669006362?var=630128746446&hash=item53f98c4a1a:m:msmmy5FH6V-hORri7Ae5q4w

tuonokid said:
[post]355537[/post] You will have to cut them to length though and it's not easy with S/S, do you have an angle grinder?
Yep, have masonry discs for sure, have to check if I have metal cutting ones. Probably do, I seem to have most things.

I thought I remembered a couple of them being shorter. Nothing's ever simple, is it?

Thanks for the link. :)

Yeah I think the manifold ones may be shorter. If you use a couple of s/s nut locked together as a depth gauge when you cut the bolt you can use them to clean up the threads when you take them off but you'll probably have to resort to a hacksaw blade and a file for final cleaning up.
Barry

Latest posts

Back