The elusive Thunder 1.6

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be interesting to put the plate through etis and see if it was built like that?

They did a few 1.6 Thunders right at the end of production because they ran out of 1.7 engines and had Thunder bodies left. Classic Ford 'use what you've got' methodology.

red said:
[post]354153[/post] I'm not even sure that's actually a selling point :?:
Me neither, and I work in used car sales :lol:

Back in the day it meant it hadn't been owned by a boy racer so the engine wasn't hammered, now it means it's mechanically sound but the interior is full of make-up and smells of McDonald's burgers.

TGPlayer1 said:
[post]354157[/post]
red said:
...now it means it's mechanically sound ...

I'm not even sure on this point anymore, TGPlayer1! Most of the female drivers I know have zero mechanical sympathy (Check oil/fluids? Never. Rev the f**k out of a cold engine? Yes), and even Mrs.T66 shuts the Puma doors like she's closing the loading doors of a North Sea ferry by hand. :-(

That's true but it's more the fact they take it in to the local garage and the man says "ooo it needs this and that doing and really it's unsafe to drive if you don't have the work done".

There's always exceptions to the rule but that's what I've seen in my experience.

..and unless taught, clutch control goes out the window.

I spent a good time teaching my other half how to use a clutch properly, to put minimal wear on it.

Too many people (and it's not just women either) over-slip a clutch. Another massive pet hate of mine is drivers who sit at traffic lights or junctions with the clutch pedal down - it's not good for the release bearing whatsoever. And if the engine is a blacktop Zetec, neither is it good for the crankshaft :lol:

MikeT66 said:
[post]354271[/post]
TGPlayer1 said:
[post]354157[/post]
red said:
...now it means it's mechanically sound ...

I'm not even sure on this point anymore, TGPlayer1! Most of the female drivers I know have zero mechanical sympathy (Check oil/fluids? Never. Rev the f**k out of a cold engine? Yes), and even Mrs.T66 shuts the Puma doors like she's closing the loading doors of a North Sea ferry by hand. :-(

May I hasten to add that my comment is in no way directed towards the lady owners on this site... just in case of violent repercussions! :grin:

MikeT66 said:
Yes), and even Mrs.T66 shuts the Puma doors like she's closing the loading doors of a North Sea ferry by hand. :-(

Haha sounds familiar, so true :grin:

Both my very low mileage Pumas were "one lady owner" cars and both required early clutch replacement despite otherwise being bodily and mechanically near perfect.

Latest posts

Back