Boot lock wont open

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldcut

Hi,
My key no longer works in the boot lock barrel,Ive managed to remove all the trim from the back and then iv'e opened it from inside.
When i put the key in the boot lock barrel,their is hardly any movement,hence it dosen't open but when i move the lever on the back of the boot lock from inside the car,their is plenty of movement so i need to remove the boot lock barrel(the one which the key goes in)
How to you replace/remove the boot lock as their is only a small space?
I know its being held by pop rivets but how are you supposed to remove it and fit?

If yours is like mine you really have to turn the key really hard clockwise and then the boot opens. I don't like doing it too often as it feels as if I'll damage the key but my remote release isn't working at the moment.
Barry

No buddy,mine won't open with the key at all no matter how hard i try.
I can only open the boot if i climb in the back of the car and open it by hand.

I think ive found the answer,not 100% sure but i think iv'e got to remove the light,all the connections then drill out the rivets,i'll have a look when i get my hands on a pop rivet gun.
He who dares :wink:

I had the same problem. I've done a 'bodge' fix, & run a piece of wire (cycle gear cable!) from the boot release cable, down to the driver's seat, so I just have to pull the wire from inside the car when I want to open the boot. Didn't seem worth the expense of getting a new servo motor on a Y reg.

I have the same problem although I can use the fob to open it. The key, however doesn't work.
I'm guessing mine has had a lock change at some point, minus the boot as it's such a pig to replace.
Another job on my list :-(

Boot lock is very easy to remove, certainly a lot less faffing than the doors.

They do seize up very easily though. Recommend to remove a free on a bench as using the key to do in situ can damage the key.

Done mine and yes easy to remove, just make sure you've got a pop rivet gun/rivets to install the replacement.
I can now get into my boot the normal way :grin:

Regardless of what I do I have never been able to open the boot with the key - only with the remote and I can't be bothered running cables or replacing the servo.

Mine just needed a lot of WD40 and some perseverence with turning the key! Works fine now. I didn't have to force it, just kept turning small amounts and spraying WD40 until it went through 90 degrees.

Back