Boot Struts?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PumaGal60

Hi
My Puma is in desperate need of some new boot struts that are powerful enough to lift the boot which has a small spoiler on, obviously making the boot heavier than normal.

We ordered some new ones only to find that the right strut has connectors on the top and bottom for the brake light, so had to return them.

Any ideas would be welcome

Thanks
Net

PumaGal60 said:
[post]354732[/post] Hi
My Puma is in desperate need of some new boot struts that are powerful enough to lift the boot which has a small spoiler on, obviously making the boot heavier than normal.

We ordered some new ones only to find that the right strut has connectors on the top and bottom for the brake light, so had to return them.

Any ideas would be welcome

Thanks
Net

Morning Net. All the non-OE struts come without the electrical connector, however, you can unscrew the ends off the original one and put them on the new one. Sound simple? It would be if it wasn't for the fact that none of the aftermarket struts I've found conduct electricity end to end.

I ended up paying the hefty premium to get a early 2000, non-brake light strut from Ford and then switching the original connectors over. Not cheap, think they were £68 from memory

Hi Guys
Thank you for your suggestions for the boot struts. I have managed to find some with the electrical connection from Mister Auto and ordered them yesterday. I'll let you know how I get on when they've arrived.
Thanks again
Net

Well, we've just fitted the new boot struts with the electrical connection, the boot brake light works, so far so good. All in all they cost just between £30-40.

Can anyone confirm that the Mk5 fiesta boot struts will fit the Puma?(2001)

Yup, the fiesta ones do fit, but are much stronger in pushing force. Since the RHS is used for electrical connection, I replaced only the left one with a fiesta one. It is so strong it opens the boot on its own (with retained original the puma one on RHS) so no need for getting both of them

Tried the Fiesta mk5 trick on mine. With the rusty Puma one on it opened on its own. Changed to a cleaner Puma one and scrapped the rusty one only to find it then stopped opening without help.

Will try a few more Puma ones or retrofit the spades to the Fiesta one.

anyone got any links to the struts, mine also has the electric connectors and i am having a nightmare finding replacements,

I fited these, unscrewed the ends and added the connectors from the old ones and the centre brake light works fine
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391774615443

Just bought a pair from www.partsinmotion.co.uk Different ones for each side and made by QH so good quality, £29 the pair

the part numbers are

QTS840192
QTS128654

Never used partsinmotion before but they were really really helpful

I’ve got a pair of standard used ones for sale, no sign of electrical connectors on them if anyone’s interested?
AoMVvmn.jpg

EDIT: scrap that, I can see a spade connector on one in the picture, I can’t test as mines a T reg and only 2 lights

LOL, just reading this reminded me today my boot. I am not sure if they are for a Fiesta or not, but they are ridiculously powerful. It's great for ope ing the boot as one press of the button and it literally shoots open, however, it is a real PITA to close as you need both hands (and plenty of strength) to close it!!

Latest posts

Back