Big brake upgrade

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldcut

As i have no idea for the reasoning can anyone tell me why if upgrading to the bigger brake set up, that you use calipers/pads from the mondeo mk.3 and discs from a focus ST?
Why not both from the mondeo or vice versa?
And my next question,
Would i have to have a larger size wheel if upgrading to a 300mm disc and a larger caliper?

I think the reasoning for using the Mondeo calipers is that they are cheaper to buy than the ST170 ones plus they may give more clearance on the wheel. Some people have even ground down the tops of the Mondeo calipers so that they can stick with 15" wheels. If you are going to go the Mondeo/ST170 route I would say go with 16" wheels at least.
Barry

Mondeo ones are rarer however so are more difficult to get hold of.

The main difference is the sizes of the carrier fitting bolts; Mondeo is the same size as the Puma hubs so are a bolt-on job, whereas the ST170 ones have larger holes so the hubs need drilling.

As for the discs the Mondeos have 5 studs and ST has 4 so you want the ST discs and Mondy calipers for ease of fitment, which is what I have.

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=7991

Thanks TG!
Thumbs up given.
How come it says in the How To they need drilling using the mondeo ones?

Because it's wrong.

Unless I got the one and only set of calipers that have the smaller holes.

i think peeps are getting confused

Mondeo Calipers - difficult to fit under 15" - holes need drilling and dirt cheap to buy (10-20 quid)

ST170 straight fit - fit under 15" - rarer and more expensive

Coldcut said:
[post]355169[/post]
Unless I got the one and only set of calipers that have the smaller holes.

:grin: Cheers TG!

Or had holes been previously drilled? Refitting old calipers there isn't masses of play when you start to loosen (although any play would be dangerous for risk of bolts undoing)

Scrap that, unless you didn't try swapping bolts between calipers, as Mondeo calipers should have larger thread.

Lord B said:
[post]355205[/post] i think peeps are getting confused

Mondeo Calipers - difficult to fit under 15" - holes need drilling and dirt cheap to buy (10-20 quid)

ST170 straight fit - fit under 15" - rarer and more expensive

:? :? :? :? :? yes confused now with difference of opinions :?
As i will need bigger wheels,16"minimum,i'll hang on for a while as iv'e only just bought a set of 15" alloys to replace my fanblade type.
cheers Lord!

All I know is I bought some calipers from a breakers yard and they had "Mondeo V6" written on them. When I removed my standard brakes the mondeo calipers slotted on without any play or drilling required. I used the standard bolts that had just come out.

And anyone I've spoken to who has said they bought ST calipers claimed they had to drill the hubs.

So yeah, very confusing it seems :lol:

I removed set from Mondeo, had to cut down new bolts and enlarge holes in hubs. Are you at ford fair as will probably be lots of different ones side by side to compare

Who knows?

The problem with ford is that they just changed things randomly at certain points in time, or updated some things but still had old bits left. So maybe it's just what you get.

ST170 callipers and 300mm discs will only fit under some 15" alloys. The Mondeo callipers which take 280mm discs fit fine :)

Latest posts

Back